Default Splitting a package

I will be getting 2 - 2lbs.packages of bees next week with caged queens. Is there any way I can split one package and add it to the other if so
    How can this be done Please advise me as I am new to beekeeping. Thanks Joe.

Default Re: Splitting a package

take half the bees and add them to the one you want to enlarge. Are you stocking an observation hive with the rest?

Yes I am

But will the bees fight if i do this

Yes I am Will the bees fight And the Queens come with a Cork no sugar in the cage for the bees to go through. So should I keep her caged for a few more days or not.

Since you're combining bees from two packages I would leave the cork in the queen cage for a couple days. The bees that came with the queen will accept her but the additional bees from the separate package may not. And no, the bees will not fight when you combine them. When you shake the bees into the hive do both packages at the same time. They'll be confused and disoriented and will have no tendencies to fight.

Thank You kindly for your advice I will do just as You say Thanks again Joe.

you could take out the cork and put a mini marshmellow in hole the cork was in( don't let the queen get out) and install the packages where you want them, it will take them a couple days to release the queen that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by joegf36 View Post
    Yes I am Will the bees fight And the Queens come with a Cork no sugar in the cage for the bees to go through. So should I keep her caged for a few more days or not.