Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Any good videos?

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  bwdenen 
#1 ·
I'm trying to convince my husband to let me start beekeeping in our backyard. The city just passed a new beekeeping ordinance a few weeks ago to allow beekeeping in the city. I've taken a class through the local beekeeping club and I think I'm ready. But my husband is quite worried about how having a hive will affect our small backyard. He thinks that seeing a video of urban beekeeping might help. So, can anyone help with some links to good videos?

#3 ·
Welcome Athena!

Good luck with your hive. Think very carefully about the placement of the hive, as you may be able to mitigate your husband's fears to directing the bees away from his favorite spots. Forcing them to fly up and over an obstacle will also help keep the bees from being as intimidating.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone. Due to the city regulations the hive has to go pretty much in the middle of yard so there isn't a place to put it out of the way. It's on a hill and I'm planning to plant bushes around it so the bees should be mostly up above us. I'm going to a beekeeping meeting on Tuesday and I'll see if I can find someone willing to give us a tour of their yard. Timing is a bit tight though so I'll look through the videos on youtube and see if I can find something good.

#13 ·
It is normal to have second thoughts. I did. Then I ordered my bee packages and I still worried. The best advise I can give you is have either a hedge or a privacy fence in front of the hive. This forces the bees to fly up and you are less likely having trouble with your neighbors. I have my hives 20 feet from my house. No issues at all. They don't bother us, but we bother them occasionally ripping the roofs of their hives and looking inside. Installing the first time can be intimidating, and the more often you walk to your hives the more it becomes a calming effect on you. Never rush anything when you handle your bees. The more calm you are the more pleasant it will be. Listen to the sound of your hive, because it will tell you when they get stressed. Simple back off and give them a minute. Having a bush near by also helps. You just walk behind it if one gets upset and bounces against your veil. Wait a minutes and they are back to being calm. This is not so much an issue when you install them, but more later in the year when they have stores. They are not aggressive by nature, just give them time and slow down. Bee classes cover a lot and you end up worrying to much, because you have heard so much in class. See if someone in the club can mentor you and take you out to their hives to get a feel. Be also away that they may jump fast into the hive looking for things and it can be higher then your comfort level. Those are full hives with 50,000 or more bees, and you will start with a mini hive of 12,000 bees when you install a package. That is the best way for you to get comfortable. Overall for me it is calming working bees. Who thought that smoke can do that to people. ;-) Anyway, you will be fine, and don't worry to much just go for it.

#14 ·
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the bees. I live in a rural neighborhood. My lot is 100 feet wide. My hives are in the middle, 50 feet from either side and I have had no problems or complaints fron eitherof my neighbors. A jar of honey to each dosen't hurt either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.