Thread: Muliple hives

Hybrid View

Default Muliple hives

if i have two new hives, and get my two packages of bees on the same day. i have heard that if they are too close together, all the bees will go to one hive, how far away from each other do they need to be. thanks

Default Re: Muliple hives

If you hive the bees in the evening they should stay put. Just put them in, when they would normally be tucking in for the night.

Reduce your entrances...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

and block the entrances up a bit, or at least put an obstacle in front of each...make the bees stop & pay attention to where they are b4 they leave the hive in the morning

Then if they do drift, do not be afraid to swap colonies around to equalize populations.

I don't think you've got much to worry about. Reduce the entrances and the bees should stay where you put them.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

I don't mean to hijack the tread, just need clarification. When you say reduce the opening, do you reduce it by means of an standard entrance reducer, or reduce it further?

Thanks.

Dan

standard entrance reducer
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

We hived 2 packages last april, both went into all new equipment. The hives are about 6 feet apart. I really cant say if there was any drift between them, but, they both built up well. I wouldn't be to worried about them. We did as folks are suggesting here, put them into the hive, and reduce the entrance till they have got comb started and the queen is laying.