Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 3 lb. package. should i start in a nuc or 10 frame deep?

getting a package this week. should i start them in a nuc or a 10 frame deep?

Default Re: 3 lb. package. should i start in a nuc or 10 frame deep?

I am a 2nd year bekeeper so take this with a grain of salt. If it was only one package, I would use the brood box. It has been mentioned in another topic, that you can put a 3lb package in a nuc, you just have to move them or add boxes sooner. I have some packages coming, and I plan to place at least one of them in a Nuc to draw comb and for brood building. I don't think I would do that if it was my only hive.

The nuc would be a much better fit. The amount they have to climate control will directly relate to how much brood they can cover and keep warm. It will also be warmer when those first bees start emerging and needing more room in the full size box. It would be a good plan for the first month or until they fill the nuc with bees or start to need honey storage room.

Nuc makes more sense.
    My nucs are made with just a 1" round hole as a enterence. And the bottom board is nailed cand can't me removed. ( I built them from plans from this forum (coats plans) What are my feeding options? How do I go about feeding them? Also all I have is plastic foundation with un drawned comb.

I guess top feeder is your option, I only use top feeders also in my 8 frame hives, many beekeepers would agree that entrance feeder would encurage robbing. Also top feeder is perhaps better in cold weather as oppose to entrance feeder. Extra coat of wax and sugar coating helps to encourage bees to draw plastic.

I would opt for the deep brood box, so you wouldn't have to move them again. Depends on what your weather is like when you actually get your bees - if really cold, a smaller volume to keep warm makes sense.

---> second-year beek here - my opinion is only that!

If you already have a nuc, then why not use it? They will (probably) do a little better with less space. Moving them into a bigger home later is so easy it's almost not worth worrying about - for you or the bees.

If you don't already have a nuc then use the full size box and fill it with foundation - that won't exactly divide the box, but it's about like hanging a curtain over a doorway - it helps.

On the other hand if you don't already have a nuc you should get/build one. Sooner or later you'll be sorry if you don't.

If you made some feeder rims for your nuc and put fondant or three sandwich size zip lock baggies on top of the frames, you could maintain your advantage of a smaller area to heat. Michael Bush has solid bottoms like you describes and apparently uses them for a feeder, presumably by just pouring some down a corner. Ask him how that works.

Everyone starts with foundation, so don't worry about that. Just be prepared to scrape off some bridge comb. It is just easier to fix with plastic than with wax. Scrape off just the bad parts when you see them starting, it won't get any better. Have fun.

I'd go with the deep box because I installed a 2lbs package a couple weeks ago and they have filled almost 7 frames with brood/honey.

Go for the deep, because in a month they are probably ready for the second deep. Moving the frames from a nuc to a deep within 2 weeks is a waste of time and causes stress to the new colony.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

It really doesn't matter too much. Like mentioned they will likely do better starting in a nuc (less real estate and can maintain temps better), but I've started many in 10 frame deeps and have been pleased with the outcome. If you want the avoid moving from a nuc to a full sized box and you're handy with tools, you can build some follower boards that can be used to partition the full sized box. This way you can easily change the inner dimensions by simply sliding the board. These would look similar to a frame, but would prevent bees from moving across into the open space. Again, I'd just put them on 10 frame equipment, but the follower board is still useful to have around.

To me it depends if you're putting them on drawn comb or foundation. If foundation I would put them in the nuc. If drawn comb and there is flying weather I'd put them in the 10 frame.

i am going with a install into a 10 frame hive using a feeder like the one in the link, i will reduce the enterence also.. sound good?URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19/feeder1.jpg/][/URL]

I would go with some form of top feeder. Entrance feeders encourage robbing, and they have enough stress with a new home. There are several forms of top feeding that aren't expensive, I use inverted mason jars inside an extra box on top.

With deeps, I would do the nuc. With mediums and no drawn comb, I would do the nuc. With mediums and drawn comb, I'd do an 8 or 10 frame box
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

if i go with the nuc. can i place the feeder/metal lid with holes shown in post #13 without the plastic base and just lay it on the frames with another nuc body and lid on top?

>if i go with the nuc. can i place the feeder/metal lid with holes shown in post #13 without the plastic base and just lay it on the frames with another nuc body and lid on top?

If you fill the extra space or make some way the bees can't get into the extra space, yes, otherwise they will go up and build comb all around your jar. Rags work fairly well to fill the space. But they will be propolized down when you go to remove them.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I would start with a nuc also. This time of year it really does make a difference in their build up. For feeding, try a frame feeder. No need to make any modifications to equipment if you start feeding this way for the first couple of weeks. Once moved to a deep you can feed with a bucket, baggie, or some other method from inside an empty box.

I prefer to not use boardman feeders inserted in the entrance, especially with weak or new colonies. It's too close to the entrance, even if blocked off, and robbing can wipe out your bees in a hurry. I like the feed to be deep inside the hive away from the entrance. Just my personal preference.
    To everything there is a season....

I am starting a 6 lb. package in an all shallow, foundationless 10 frame hive; should I start in 2 shallows or 3?

Quote Originally Posted by adamant View Post
    Nuc makes more sense.
    My nucs are made with just a 1" round hole as a enterence. And the bottom board is nailed cand can't me removed. ( I built them from plans from this forum (coats plans) What are my feeding options? How do I go about feeding them? Also all I have is plastic foundation with un drawned comb.
    I switched from plasticell to natural wax foundation about 2 years ago and my bee's just love it, they really took off!
    Steve Wenger
    Gentleman farmer/9 year Bee Keeper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast