Default Goldenrod Honey: Take it, or leave it?

While doing my first inspection of the season recently, I was surprised to find several frames of what I presume to be Goldenrod honey (lemon yellow cappings, we had an extended goldenrod season in the fall and I kept looking around for a dead animal when I was inspecting those frames!)

From what I've read, Goldenrod honey crystallizes rapidly, and since this has been in the hive since ~September, is it even worth trying to extract or should I just leave it for the bees?

Default Re: Goldenrod Honey: Take it, or leave it?

If you medicated in the fall then leave the honey for the bees. If not, I harvested Goldenrod honey from 2 hives last fall and everyone I gave some to said it was delicious. I still have a few jars left and it is just starting to crystallize.
    life is finite while knowledge is infinite. - Zhuang Zi

Agreed. The uncured nectar is pretty skunky, but the honey is very good. If nothing else, take a little bit for yourself.

I too like the dark fall honey. It is always a pleasure when I get to harvest some frames in the spring to make room for the new year's flow. If you haven't ever tried it I would recommend it.

Enjoy!

Pete0
    Bena, VA

We gave away Goldenrod honey for Christmas along with some Sourwood. The GR honey was preferred by most everyone.
    Experience isn't always the best way to learn...You usually get the lesson first...And the instruction afterwards...

That lemon yellow may be fresh capped honey from this spring. I have a hive that is on their second super, and its still March, crazy.

And it has been too cold here to do a full inspection yet! 19 degrees last night. I much prefer Goldenrod Honey over Clover Honey.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

GR honey is my favorite, but does crystalize quickly. I would give it a try and harvest. I think you'll like it.