Hybrid View

Default When to re-queen packages?

I will be getting some Georgia packages the first week in May. I want to re-queen to local survivor bees here in Vermont. Is the best plan to wait until late June and break the hives up into nucs for overwintering? That way I might have enough frames of brood honey/pollen to get 3 or more nucs per package depending on weather. Any suggestions, advice??

Default Re: When to re-queen packages?

True survivor queens are not something you can order out of the yellow pages - so I think you are putting the cart before the horse in looking at the calendar to make plans. IE - do your re-queening when you can get the queens. In any case unless the package builds up really well, I wouldn't split it more than in two. Much will depend on how fast your package draws comb. While others will disagree I'm sure, I think that even by splitting a package in half, especially if done early in the season (and I consider June early) you are risking complete failure.

Queens made from Vermont survivor stock are available. I have to order them in advance. Each overwintering nuc is started with 1 1/2 frames of brood and 1 1/2 frames of honey/pollen.
    That means that each package needs to produce 4 1/2 frames of brood by the time I break them up. Does that seem reasonable in 8 weeks? I know it depends on weather conditions. I have never used packages so I don't know what to expect for buildup. It's hard to order queens when I don't know how many I will need...

I'm not planning to split my two packages, but am planning to requeen to locally raised queens from stock that has history of overwintering here in New England. I've found at least 2 sources so far (I put a WTB in the livestock section on CL). Both are flexible with timing.

I've been wondering the same thing about how long to wait before requeening.

Why not give the queen you bought a chance and buy your local queen for the split WHEN your package has become a strong populace unit? Southern queens are not evil and may have everything in genetics you desire. Mind your mite load and you will go further than trying to gimmic your way to success.

Quote Originally Posted by yeedah100 View Post
    It's hard to order queens when I don't know how many I will need...
    That does make it tough. Find out how far in advance you need to order them (some queen producers sell out in January) and make your best guess. If it were me I'd order 1 queen per package and plan on splitting next year.

I need to split up the nucs by early July to allow them enough time to organize for winter.
    Package survival up here is poor for our winters, whereas overwintered nuc survival with local queens would be better bet. IE one package hive vs 2 or 3 nucs - the odds are better that at least one nuc survives. I lost all my hives this winter but only lost half my overwintered nucs. I am buying these packages purely to produce backup nucs. My new stock is coming from local nuc suppliers ( Kirk Webster, Singing Cedars). Given the demand for local queens, I suppose I could order best case scenario and then offer any surplus thru the local bee club.
    Oh well, I guess I will see how fast they build up come the end of June...
    I will be backing up all of my hives with nucs this winter.

How did you lose your hives?