Hybrid View

Default Wicked lot of moisture.

So, I went out to my hives a few minutes ago just to see if they were flying today. On one of my hives I have a medium with a screen on the bottom and it's filled with cedar shavings. I took the outer cover off and a bunch of water ran down the inside of the cover and there is a bit of mold forming under there as well. I stuck my hand in the cedar chips and it is VERY wet. As I dug deeper I could feel a lot of warmth from the bees.

I had some twigs about .25" in each corner of the cedar filled medium to vent it out some - apparently not enough. So I took a couple of pieces of scrap wood an inch thick to prop up the cover even more.

Is that much moisture normal? They are in and out. I didn't see them bringing any pollen, but the maples, etc are blooming. Is this most likely moisture from the nectar or from the bees? It has 2 deeps and lots of bees.
    Zone 7A - Southern, MA. Elevation 138 ft.
    4 hives: 1 Carniolan/Italian Hybrid, 2 Swarms from that hive and 1 Russian.

Default Re: Wicked lot of moisture.

Am I'm reading this right? You have a screened BB with a medium on top of it (filled with Cedar shavings) and two deeps on top of that?

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Am I'm reading this right?
    I don't think so.

I believe that he put screen on the bottom of a medium box, filled it with shavings and put it on top of his hive.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Am I'm reading this right? You have a screened BB with a medium on top of it (filled with Cedar shavings) and two deeps on top of that?

Lol.. No, I have a medium super on top of the hive with screen stapled on the bottom of the medium that is filled with cedar shavings. I did forget to mention, though, that under the screened medium filled with cedar shavings is a 1" pc of wood separating it from the deeps with about a 1" notch for an upper entrance.

No SBB on this hive.

So, does anyone have any idea if this much moisture is normal?

I have been using Homasote over inner covers with the notches down... Most of my hives also had a top entrance drilled into the top boxes. With my setup, in my area, I have not had a problem with moisture.

One thing that may be an issue is the use of screen above the bees. Any humidity will condense on the relatively cooler metal instead of migrating out a top vent/entrance, or condensing and freezing safely on the hive walls.

I have heard of some beekeepers changing straw, shredded paper, or other material during the winter. I don't have that problem. I have removed most of the Homasote from my hives, and it is not damp.

I would reconsider the ventilation and overhead insulation that's used.

Joe
    BeeCurious
    5 hives and 8 nucs................... Trying to think inside the box...

Joe, thanks for the response.

I understand what you mean with the screen. But with it being so warm in the cedar chips. I'm not sure it would be condensation? I was thinking more along the lines of moisture from the bees or from evaporation of moisture from the nectar?

What do you think?