Thread: Moving Hives

Default Moving Hives

If I want to move a hive approx. 1,000 yards, do I move it 3' a day or a week?
    If we were as smart as bees, we wouldn't have voted for Obama

Default Re: Moving Hives

3,000 feet all at once is what I would do.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

I use Michael Bush's method and it is flawless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    If I want to move a hive approx. 1,000 yards, do I move it 3' a day or a week?
    BB's Honey
    www.bbshoney.com

I'm confused! I have moved hives from 6 all the way up to 175 miles in one day and never questioned it. Is there something I'm missing?

Let's do some math. If you move the hive 3000 feet, 3 feet at a time, it will take 2.7 years to move the hive. If you move it 3 feet per week, it will take 19.2 years. Maybe your children can finish moving it for you after you croak, if they're really dedicated. Alternatively, you can move it 3000 feet today using the Michael Bush method and be done with it.
    “Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” – Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Farms View Post
    I'm confused! I have moved hives from 6 all the way up to 175 miles in one day and never questioned it. Is there something I'm missing?
    "2 feet or two miles" - Original Author unknown (to me, at least), beekeeping axiom

I think the concern here is that if the hive is still in the same 1.5mi circle, the foraging bees will "fly home" to the old location and end up NOT returning to the proper hive. That is, unless they're given sufficient re-orienting cause, such as placing a branch/branches in the way of their path out the hive entrance.
    Last edited by robherc; 03-28-2012 at 08:16 AM. Reason: typo

>I use Michael Bush's method and it is flawless.
    That would be this:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmoving.htm#between

1,000 yards is pushing it. I have done a few hundred, but there is a lot more confusion than you get at 100. If you went 50 yards a day I'll bet they would start anticipating the new location and you'd get there in a mere 20 days...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF