Default All medium setup install question

So at the risk of repeating a thread, and/or asking a silly question, I would like to ask the wisdom of the forum to confirm something. So I am installing a package into an all medium hive in April. When I initially install them should I put them in one medium and then wait for them to draw out comb in some of those frames before I place a second medium. (this is what I had planned to do) Or do the bees need the room, even if it is empty space, provided by a second medium from the beginning?

-Thanks

Default Re: All medium setup install question

even an eight frame medium is enough room for a package. When they have drawn 70-80% of that box add another.

>So I am installing a package into an all medium hive in April. When I initially install them should I put them in one medium and then wait for them to draw out comb in some of those frames before I place a second medium. (this is what I had planned to do)

With undrawn comb I often install a 3 pound package in a five frame medium nuc. One medium is twice that. The limited space helps them keep the brood warm and helps them generate the heat required to draw comb. When I put them in a five frame nuc I have to expand (by either adding a box or moving them to a wider box) in a little less than two weeks. In an eight frame medium it's about two weeks. In a ten frame medium it won't be much past two weeks.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks for the tip, Michael. I built some 'hive reducers' for my 2 8-frame medium box colonies this past winter that constrict the hive space to 5 frames, essentially producing an 5-frame medium nuc. Both hives got to extremely small clusters thru Nov/Dec, until one of the colonies died out. As they got very small, I saw something was perhaps wrong and had the idea to constrict their living space. Out here in CA, the temperatures don't get that low, but our winter consists of rain....for sometimes almost a week at a time[such as this past week].

With 2 new packages arriving in April, I'm glad I have the 2 colonies' worth of 'reducers' to help them out! I took the width of 3 frames, divided it in half and made 'division board' type reducers for each end of the frame line[positions 1 and 8]. I have drawn comb from the dead hive to provide, but it contains a lot of crystallized honey and pollen. Giving them 3 more frames of this to clean out with a smaller cluster seems counter productive??

I hope this works to my advantage and not my detriment!

Thanks again, Mr. Bush, for your observations and experience...