Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 3 lb. package. should i start in a nuc or 10 frame deep?

>I am starting a 6 lb. package in an all shallow, foundationless 10 frame hive; should I start in 2 shallows or 3?

I've never heard of a 6 pound package... 2 should work for the first two weeks then you'll need more.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >I am starting a 6 lb. package in an all shallow, foundationless 10 frame hive; should I start in 2 shallows or 3?

I've never heard of a 6 pound package... 2 should work for the first two weeks then you'll need more.
    Two 3 lb. packages and one queen.

The answer is the usual. Your weather,your location, your setup. I have had packages die from a stiff wind with no comb in a deep while being fed. Normal wind direction would have been fine.

Give the package the extra help. Follower board (liked the earlier post using cardboard in a pinch) or nuc. If they take off now great, if they start slow or die do you really want to wait another year to get going? Double safe is now my motto. Wish it was on year one.