Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Capped Drone Brood in March in MN?

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  bigwoodsbees 
#1 ·
I opened up my thriving hive to find a full box of honey on top and lots and lots of bees. When I worked my way into the brood nest I found plenty of larva, eggs and capped brood and also two small patches of capped drone brood. This seems unusual to me so early in the season in Minnesota but the weather has been unseasonably warm and there is a lot of pollen and nectar coming into the hive. Has anyone else made similar observations?

I look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

#9 ·
Not in Minnesota, but we had drones at least 6 weeks before normal this year. Before I did my first inspections, I had some drones sitting on the porch of one hive, and I was worried I had a queen problem. Instead, I had a thriving hive that is way ahead of schedule. I sure hope this warm weather tapers off (86 today) or we are headed for another miserably hot summer. (I am going to Minnesota for a week this summer.)

#10 ·
Unbelievable! We are cold wet and snowy here, but it is all going to break any day. I have hazelnuts blooming! I saw a few drones the other day when i popped lids but they were ones that wintered. I have some hives so strong that I can't imagine how strong they will be in a month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.