Default building a quicky swarm trap/nuc

After seeing some bees wandering the neighborhood, I thought I'd put out a quicky swarm trap; so I brought home an empty cardboard xerox box with a lid. cut a hole in the side and screened two other holes for ventilation. Couldn't put it outside today because of rain, but thought that if i painted it with paraffin wax, it might last thru a dreary day or so. I see some discussion about wax, but nothing seems to fit just what I'm thinking about. Any reason I can't melt some paraffin wax and paint it over the outside of the box? - Mike

Default Re: building a quicky swarm trap/nuc

I saw the same thing this week at work. I put out a plain cardboard box with a half dozen drops of lemongrass oil inside and hole cut in it. I knew it was going to rain this weekend by figured what the heck - worst that happens it falls apart with a swarm and I'm no worse off than if I didn't put it out (except for maybe having a humorous story to tell).

Some people do use waxed cardboard boxes from the produce section of the grocery store.

Ah, that's a good idea. - Mike

Has anyone caught a swarm in an empty cardboard box with only lemon grass oil?