Default Safe to start new hive w old equipment with some wax moth damage?

Hey guys. Brand new to this site. Practically brand new to beekeeping... My best friend was a beekeeper and he was going to start teaching me this spring...I didn't get that chance because the end of january he found out he had leukemia and then he passed on valentines day. He left me all his equipment and his hives and told me to keep it going for him. All of his hives are empty. Have been since last summer and one since last winter. My question is...
    Is it safe to use equipment that the wax moths have gotten into? I'm ordering two packages of bees and want to make sure. Some of the frames of comb are pretty nasty with webbing and holes but some are almost untouched. What should I do?

One has been without a hive about six months some others a year or so.

Default Re: Safe to start new hive w old equipment with some wax moth damage?

Just pull the webbing from the moths out of the frames. you could was the dust and crud off with some gentle water spray but it isn't necessary the bee are hard worker and will clean it all up. Good Luck. Sorry to hear about the loss of you friend.
    Old Guy in Alabama

Welcome!
    What is your screen name about? Are you a trapper?

Sorry to hear of your sudden loss.

I use moth 'cleaned' equipment all the time. The only thing I worry about is how badly chewed the wood is and how bad the small hive beetle presence was. If the SHB's were the cause of the hives being empty I rinse them out well with the garden hose with a spray head and hang them to sun dry. The bees are happy when I do this. Just Wax Moths I brush out and let the bees do the rest. Good luck. Check out your local bee club now and you should find all kinds of help and advise to work with.

Lol. Not a trapper. I'm a big university of Florida fan.

How big of holes in the comb from the moths are ok for the bees to fix?