Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Switching out

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  wadehump 
#1 ·
My youngest daughter Avery, who is 5 going on 25 does not like the poly finish on one of our hives because it does not match the "pretty colors" she picked out for the other three. I hate to admit it but I want it to match too. Aah the joys of being particular. Anyway, how exactly do I go about switching out the hive bodies? I planned on doing it during my next inspection. Is there a specific method to follow? Suggestions appreciated. Thanks all. :)

#4 ·
Not to disagree with MB, but you will save heavy lifting to have a stand same height as your hive next to your hive, move old box onto said stand, place new empty box on hive, move frames into new box.
So much effort is given to converting to smaller boxes rather than to devise lift saving methods.

#5 ·
My back has not given me any trouble since I cut down all my 10's to 8 frames mediums. My bees seem to do better with the narrower space and actually fill out all the frames. I put 9 frames in the brood boxes which helps with space to prevent swarming. Life is good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.