Threaded View

Default Questions from Newbie

Beesource Members,

I performed a cutout this past Tuesday of a colony that I found in a wall of an old house place on our property. I was able to get roughly 8 frames of brood with the colony. I left them overnight Tuesday and Wednesday morning found all bees in the hive body so I closed them up and relocated them to my house Wednesday and opened them up and let them out.

I also brought home their Honey and placed 7 frames of honey and what I believed looked like nectar and possibly some pollen ( I am a Newbie) and just some empty come in a second deep and placed it on top of the brood box. I also added a hive top feeder with a 1:1 sugar syrup mixture for them.

I have been watching them the last couple days and they seem to be coming and going just fine, I did take the top off and look in both deeps when I added the hive top feeder and there were lots of bees in both boxes.

My question is what should my next steps be to managing the colony, also I noticed that they were joining some of there old comb together that I rubber banded in the frames and placed side by side, how do I correct this so that they are keeping the comb built correctly. Some of the comb looked really thick from the cutout.

I also have noticed that they have been carrying what looks like some dead larva out of the hive and I am hoping this is where they are cleaning up some of the comb that I didn't place in the hive body until a day later.

Does this all seem like normal activity.

Thanks in advance for all comments and suggestions.

Steven.
    Last edited by swbva; 03-24-2012 at 01:07 PM.