Default Wisconsin trees are starting to leaf out

We in our state had a very warm winter. The flowers are coming up and the Maples have some bloom last week.
    Do you all think that this will hurt us if we get a cold spell in April?
    Last week it got up to 80 Some to the maple syrup people are getting sap also.
    Wishing you all the best of tomorrows and good honey

Default Re: Wisconsin tress are starting to leaf out

It is said that only fools and new comers predict the weather. The way I understand this phenomenon that has created our weird winter is: We have a moderate La Nina inplace. This should give us lots of snow and cold winter conditions, but there is another system called the Arctic oscillation. It trumps the La Nina. Normally it flips back and forth between positive and negative air preasure. This winter it has been very unusual in that it is stable and not oscillating. This has kept the jet stream way north of us, and this has given us the mild winter. If it were to flip then theoretically we could go back to winter conditions?????????????
    With the sap flowing and leaf and flower buds growing we could see severe damage to trees and bushes if we were to get cold conditions again.
    Since the OA has been so stable I am hoping that we will continue to have warm conditions.
    I am definately not a newcomer so I must be a fool, an old fool.
    Dave

It is very interesting. I just noticed that my apple trees are starting to leaf out and the plum tree has advanced buds on it. The bees are booming and yesterday they were bringing in pollen like crazy, as you point out a cold spell is possible and a frost could trash the fruit. However, most of my honey is made mid-june through July and I am optimistic that I will have plenty of bees by then to take advantage of the bloom. Yet there is many a slip between cup and lip.

I have the same conditions here. Monday night it could go down to 20 degrees. there's goes all my blossoms.

Does the flower have to be open for a freeze to damage it or can it also damage tight flower buds? John

if you have flowers on them. there done for the year. lets hope it wont happen. I think its going to be a tough year for agriculture.

The 2010 spring was early for us, this year is way earlier, I kept track of bloom times for the last few years and we are one month ahead of schedule with the fruit blooms. Get ready for higher food prices. John

This time of year I should have a 2" snow pack on the ground. The grass is starting to get green now.

You mean a 2 foot snow pack don't you? John

yes for snow

I have some pear trees with lots of tiny green unopened blossoms and some plums that are just opening flowers. Sour cherry trees are pushing green and will bloom soon.

Daffodils and crocus are blooming now. Magnolias are blooming now. We are more than a month early here in NE Wisconsin. No dandelions yet.

While I am enjoying the warms temps, I do worry about fruit tree crops in Wisconsin. In addition to that, if it is so warm now, what is it going to be like this summer??

Can you believe an earthquake of 1.5 in Clintonville, WI recently!!