Thread: Robbing HELP!!!

Exclamation Robbing HELP!!!

I caught a swarm last week Monday in a 5 medium nuc, and has been doing fine. I caught what I believe to be the afterswarm yesterday in a 10 medium box . I relocated both to my property since they were next door at my neighbours house. I placed them next to each other. The swarm I caught yesterday seems to be robbing the Nuc. I already closed down the entrance on both to about a 1 inch square and placed a Q tip with vicks on the nuc since I read it'll help. Any suggestions? I could relocate either one of the hives to a family members house but was thinking of keeping the swarm here to keep an eye on it since I just caught it yesterday. What should I do ????

Default Re: Robbing HELP!!!

I have closed off the entrance completely with a piece of 1/8" hardware cloth folded at a 90* angle. Keep it on for a couple of days and when the robbers figure out they cannot get in they leave. I have also read that the robbers trapped inside will join the colony. You could give that a try and post your results!?
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”

Another trick I have heard about is to take the lid off of the robbing hive exposing the frames. This gives them a distraction while they guard the hive.
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”

If you see them fighting it is robbing for sure otherwise it could just be orientation flights. It could also be both swarms are from the same hive so they are just deciding where they belong. Moving one would be a sure thing wouldn't it?

Also if lots of the bees are carrying pollen it isn't robbing! Sometimes reducing entrances makes one feel better just to be sure. Good work.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesrobbing.htm

Reduce all the entrances to minimum, preferably with screen so the smell confuses the robbers (if they are robbers). If you can give the swarm some stores it might lessen their needs.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF