Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: cutting the grass

I have 10 hives at home I call my pet hives. I was weed whacking around them Sunday and 9 were no problem. One of the ten swarmed out and attacked anything that was moving within 100' of the hive. They bearded on the front and stayed agitated for about three hours. I have not been able to do an inspection in the hive since (due to travel) but there might be something going on in there that I am not aware of. The rubber boot on the sparkplug had about 30 stingers sticking out of it. Fortunatley my first pass by them they started head butting me and I put on my jacket/veil. While still getting stung a few times it could have been much more uncomfortable. I run SBB's on these hives and I like to keep the air moving under them. These bees also were hard to lose by walking through bushes and were still defensive 200' from the hive.

I have to suit up to do anything within 100' of my hives, because of one of them. Yesterday, I installed a new hive stand for this spring's expansion, about 20' away. I had no doubt that a suit would be necessary. Using a grubbing hoe and levelling cinder blocks in a suit was no fun, and it was only mid 80's. Sure enough, they were after me the whole time. I think mowing would be the same result. I am hoping to remedy this situation soon.

I have a new hive that I mowed next to for the first time today. I was mowing around a tree appox. 10feet from the hive. When I looked at the hive and saw a cloud of bees comming out the front of the hive, I released the mower and walked away. When I turned around and looked, my mower was covered in bees. You never know

@ Rodmo1, Looks like an awesome science fair project to solve the problem of cutting grass around hives. Thanks for the idea, Rod. Will direct the students to your video.

I live in Fla and have mowed around my three hives within feet and never had a problem for a year, however last week I accidently spewed some debris on one of them, which is currently making a new queen and they went crazy. Fortunately I had my suit on because I knew they were cranky. They were pretty scary actually, swarming around the mower, which I abandoned immediately, and chasing me all the way across my rather large yard. They would not leave the mower alone till I moved it away from them. So I guess really you just have to look at their condition. Anyway I will be remembering that little gem of an incident for awhile!

First I try to face my hives so that the flight path is away from the mowing area, i.e. towards a fence, bush, etc. Second, keep moving and they usually ignore you. I suit up and use a weed eater around the hives and they don't even pay a lot of attention to that. My dogs walk between the fence and the entrance and do ok. Guess they are used to the traffic.

I got attacked again today, this time I was mowing at least forty feet from the hive when they attacked. My new queen cant get here quick enough.

I lay down carpet in front of mine so you don't have to get too close.

Quote Originally Posted by hilreal View Post
    First I try to face my hives so that the flight path is away from the mowing area, i.e. towards a fence, bush, etc.
    i can do that, as my nuc won't be here til next week. but if i point the entrance toward the hedge, that will also be facing away from the morning sun. the hive will be in the sun most of the day either way.

would that be a good solution? entrance facing rear-wards towards the back hedge, but away from the morning sun?

Ezwicky odds are your bees will be friendly and you can mow the grass right up to the hive. The bees that were in my same hive from preveous years let me mow the grass right up to the hive. Now I just smoke them and wear a towel on my head when I cut grass in front of them. I have dark hair and that is what they go after when they attack me.

Hubby was out mowing the grounds the other day. My third year of beekeeping, he steers pretty clear of the bees in general but is quite comfy having them around. So much so that he was pretty much mowing in a mind fog and not paying attention to which way the grass was blowing - and this at my queenless hive. Swipe 1, he kinda noticed they were agitated. Still didn't totice the direction he was spraying. Swipe 2 - la, la, la - floating cartoon bubble above his head...uh, no! That weren't no cartoon bubble! That was a swarm of bees! My biggest hive out there. All getting up close and friendly. He awoke from his daze, threw it in high gear and scrambled out of there. He escaped with only one sting (his first ever) to his back but it took a while for the heart palpitations to stop. Don't think he will forget bee etiquette again for a while - at least maybe not for another 3 years!
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

I put the beehives under a small grove of trees in a pasture, so the area rarely needs mowing. Pay ordinary attention to what the bees are doing as you go about your business. Observe what they are doing. Casting a shadow across the front of any hive is never a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by sfisher View Post
    I have dark hair and that is what they go after when they attack me.
    well. i'm bald so maybe that's a plus

I'm always amazed by range of temperament reported by different people.

well, i did it. installed my nuc monday morning, cut the grass today. i was nerve-wracking keeping my eye on the hive and cutting the grass at the same time. as far as i can tell, they were not alarmed... they were just flying in and out like normal.

i'll remain vigilant though, seeing as several other people have experienced surprise attacks.