Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

I don't see drones. Do you see drones? I think I did see a bee dance or two.

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  djdhays 
#1 ·
I looked in my bucket of bees to see if I could see drones and/or new wax. I don't think I saw either one. The video is almost 5 minutes long with much of it in fast forward. http://youtu.be/j_NbTYAJU1M

#3 ·
I'm hoping to do it today if I can get the rain to hold off long enough. Between work and everything else I have to do, the weekend is the only time I have. I may have to do it in my workshop. That will make for an interesting video.

#5 ·
I put a hole in the side of the bucket with a razor knife so I know it cuts fairly easily. I plan on turning the bucket over, cutting the outside off and cutting the comb off the bottom of the bucket. You should be able to see the video later today or tomorrow.

#7 ·
You misunderstood. I haven't done it yet as of 1:40 PM. I'm setting up to do it now. Actually I'm getting ready to eat breakfast now. Don't judge me. I work afternoons. It should be an easy one though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

#9 ·
Oh, no. It was the seat in a friends tree stand. He went out to hunt last October and found that they had built a home there. He replaced it with another bucket so I'm hoping to get another colony. I asked to put up a swarm trap but the landowner wants to get into beekeeping himself so I may not be allowed. I offered to help him out if he decides to start. We'll see what happens. But for now, I finished the cutout. It was a little harder than I expected but not too bad. I think I still may have jumped the gun and done it too soon. The wax was much softer than I imagined and I now realize how easy it would bee to kill the queen. I did spot her but then lost her and couldn't find her again. I think I may have killed her but I'm trying to stay optimistic. I'll check in a couple weeks. If I did, I'll seriously regret doing it this early. The job took about 2 hours and I fast forwarded much of the video so my friends wouldn't get bored. I did the cutout in my workshop to try and protect the brood from being chilled. It was an experience I'll never forget. The video is on YouTube http://youtu.be/Nw4qAMxl0sU

#10 ·
That's cool. You know, if you pre-cut the bucket, leaving a few small attachment points for structural integity, then taped it up with duct tape, installed an old piece of comb. You could use a pole pruner to cut off a limb as a hanger stub, and hang it right side upby the built in handle. With a little luck you might be able to peel off the bottom and sides without collapsing all of the comb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.