Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

ccommercial way for installing packages

15K views 53 replies 27 participants last post by  conifer 
#1 ·
ok guys i was wondering is there any sug
gestions on installing packages on drawn comb / were installing over 100 packages in a couple weeks and was wondering if you had any suggestion or cautions thanks
bill:scratch:

#32 ·
I did 100 last year. My cages did not have candy so they were direct released. I would pop the cork and put thumb over the hole then place cage down in frames. I did have some flyer's before I learned to put my thumb over. I tried leaving a few cages in the hive and letting the bees crawl out. Might work for 1 or 2 in the backyard but was a pain to go back through and shake all the bees out that did not leave and some hives started building comb. My dad has a saying the lazy man has the most work. Don't leave the boxes in. It sure felt like I just had to do it all twice.

#38 ·
I would also put a heavy emphasis on hiving them later in the evening. I know its hard to get alot done as the day is ending but I will hive 100 or so late after supper with not trouble. Just get everything set up before hand so all you have to do is shake bees. Helps to have someone closing up after you, and if you have help you will get more done for sure. Its nice when you can hive them on a cool day if it works out because you can hive all day!

You will have drifting regardless, just try to minimize it. Bad drifting will cause you alot of equalizing work,

I dont direct release, but I probably could. Ill let the queen sit in the cage till the next day when the bees are sitting on the comb around her calmed a bit. I figure alot of money is being dumped out into the boxes and whats one day longer in the cage. Also, that release round takes seconds per hive.

As for the dunking in water. Its probably done to stop drifting so he could hive bees during the better part of the day. It would slow them down for sure but I would hate doing it myself. Like I said there is alot of money sitting in the truck, why soak them and increase your death losses?

I have filled frames full of syrup for package bees to feed on, and found that is the worst thing a guy can do. My thinking is to provide them with food but all it does is soak the bees it they cant clean up the edges rightaway and cause higher losses of sticky wet bees. Give them feed in a feeder close by and have them sit on a bit of honey. Thats the best way of doing it.

Here is the place I get my packages from. Different packageing then what your likely use to but all the same process. I think there is a vid some where within the pages...

www.bartelhoneyfarms.ca

#39 ·
Hi Ian I checked your site & saw a video of you taking honey off, your escape board was interesting but I couldn't see it properly, any chance of a pic? It's probably a little off topic here you may need to start a new thread.

#41 ·
We shake ours in a building and leave them set in the dark for a couple of days to minimize drifting. We don't direct release the queens but use gumdrops or candy to let them out. Pull the cans give them a spray of light syrup and shake them into box.
Dunking a package of bees in a 5 gal. bucket of water is easier said than done. Don't ask me how I know but I have heard of that route before.

#43 ·
Ha Ha that was a great thread EastSideBuzz! :)

I think some of those comments were correct, with the hives laid out the way they were it would be a virtual impossibility not to get major drift problems following a package install. Anyhow that thread should be required reading for any nubee about to install packages LOL!

One easy thing a small beekeeper can do if you end up with one of those "megahives", rather than troll through it for the queen so you can remove bees, is swap it with the weakest hive in the yard. A few days later if it's still too many bees swap it with the next weakest hive in the yard.

#44 ·
Ha Ha that was a great thread EastSideBuzz! :)

I think some of those comments were correct, with the hives laid out the way they were it would be a virtual impossibility not to get major drift problems following a package install. Anyhow that thread should be required reading for any nubee about to install packages LOL!
Yea that was an expensive package. We balanced them back out as best we could but, it never worked as we wanted. Probably going to do 100 this season. Did 50 last year and it it worked fine. I keep them farther apart nowadays. I also use 4 way pallets now and some vibrant colors on each one so they can tell which home is theirs later but, when you first shake them it is still a free for all for the fliers. Also shake later in the evening smaller entrances etc.

#49 ·
For folks in California, direct release method could be problematic. FREQUENTLY, the packages we get are only ONE day old. I've had some that were less than 6hrs old.

If you know that your package is 4 days old already, then fine... go ahead with direct release.

#52 ·
Re: commercial way for installing packages

we had every thing setup ,took 100 extra boxes set on top comb pulled 1 frame put queen in comb dumped some bees on her. layed cage on side opening toward her it didn't take very long per box .put feeders on. had all openings sealed or reduced. preplanning was the only way to go with your input i had a clue what to expect.

i would like to thank you all for your input i appreciated each way you described i took parts and advise from several we direct released some ,put queen cage down below on some .well see which way works beter for us. i'll get some pictures up in a day or two thanks bill:applause:

#53 ·

Would have liked to see that video before I received tube bees. I read up on releasing packages out of the box to make sure I knew how to do it and then they give me bees in a tube. I removed the corks and wow there was no candy behind the corks. They became direct release and the queens survived.

#54 ·

Here's a summary of our experience pouring packages for various commercial beekeepers last season - http://thehoneybeat.com/2011/04/shaking-all-over/

The key point is to have everything prepared in advance of the bees arrival, and have a plan b (& c) ready to go in the event of unforeseen circumstances. Like doc25, we were going to slow release the queens on a pallet of packages we were pouring this year, but we changed that to direct release once we saw that none of the queen cages had candy in them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.