Default question: added my honey supers and left the inner cover off.. is that OK?

is it ok to keep the inner cover off or would it be to much bee space between the lid and the top of the super?

Default Re: question: added my honey supers and left the inner cover off.. is that OK?

The bees will tend to glue a telescoping cover down and make it hard to get off. More and more people are using a plastic sheet to replace inner covers. I don't need or use inner covers myself. I sometimes wonder if they would earn their keep, but I am doing fine without them.

Default Re: question: added my honey supers and left the inner cover off.. is that OK?

Actually it would be too little bee space and would encourage the bees to glue things together more. John

Vance G, what kind of plastic sheet are you talking about, never heard of it before? What would be wrong with using a propolis trap as an inner cover, kill two birds with one stone? John

Depends on your inner cover -- the Kelley ones are flat, so there would be no difference except that you may have trouble getting the telescoping cover off. If you use a migratory cover, it won't make any difference either, unless your frames are close to the top of the box (less than 1/4" away).

I'm making very solid inner covers of 1/2" plywood with a 1.5" rim. My brother's bees glue things up badly, and he's been ripping his Kelley covers apart getting them off. A tougher cover is in order there, you may have bees that don't want to seal everything up with huge amounts of propolis.

Peter

I've been a beek for over 50 years now and have never owned an inner cover. If they glue the lid down stick your hive tool under it and pry it up. You all do own hive tools, right?

Some use the plastic from feed sacks. Any visqueen would work. But the old grouch from Florida is right, popping off the cover is not a huge deal. But I do doubt that most newbies really know all that a hive tool is good for.

Old grouch? Thank you, thank you, thank you for the recognition. My son calls me that too! Thing is, I'm always right!!!!!!!

If the cover (wooden inner or telescoping) is propolized, prying it can make a "pop" that can get the bees going.

When we switched from mostly top entrances to bottom entrances we went with grain bag inner covers - even our most feisty hives barely react when we peel back the grain bag.

Great for checking in winter as you only have to peel back a corner to peek in and get an idea of what's going on. You can fold back a corner or edge aligned with the entrance so the bees can ventilate.

Also good if you have to feed - we use paper plates of crystallized honey placed right on the top bars (a few slashes in the bottom of the plate so the bees can access the honey). Grain bag pressed into the honey means few bees drown in the honey and telescoping cover just settles down over the plate.

The grain bags new were about .60/each - way less money than a wooden inner cover and so far, no down side to the way we're managing our bees.

Ramona

Interesting idea, that grain bag. I only own one inner cover, and I hate the thing - it always surprises me when it falls out of the telescoping cover. I want to go to migratory covers, as soon as I figure out what to make them out of.
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

3/4" plywood with 1x2" cleats on the ends.