Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Wire Embedder for almost nothing?

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  BigGun 
#1 ·
Just sharing another item I've created at almost no cost at all.
I was looking to create a wire embedder. So I was looking for a 9 to 12 Volt source, because that is what the ones in the catalogs run at.
You know those little charger units you plug into the outlet and that power something like a stapler, or recharge some other small device. I have box full of those after years of collecting and not having a clue what they once belonged to. I had anything from 5 to 24 Volts, and of course a 12 Volt one. Man and I was already looking at some old computer's power supply or a motor cycle battery. This is way to easy.
All I did was buy some electronic clips and used two pen shafts as holders. Cost me almost nothing. This one is only for fixing up embedded wires, but can be used to embed too.
I can build a rig I can use for doing entire frames at once, and I'm already looking at parts for it. I can see a long board with some fat nail heads on the bottom to press the wire into the wax and two end springs with a door bell ringer switch in the center to activate. Cover all the electrical parts with perhaps a vinyl folder to something heavier. I have seen things like that in catalogs for 40 bucks. Anyone can build it. It only contains basic wiring knowledge. A no brainer, if you can wire a lamp.
So here is a picture of my final product.
Adapter Adapter Electronic device Technology Electronics accessory

See less See more
#2 ·
Howdy Katharina. I tried some wall-warts to begin with, but just toasted them...they couldn't handle the dead short. Maybe mine wasn't heavy-duty enough, but they've seemed pretty substantial for a wart. I ended up dragging an old trickle charger out of mothballs. Old, beat-up, used for years and personally I thought it was dead. 6-volts gives me a slow melt, 12-volts gives me a fast melt...works great.

I'm really interested in how yours works.

Best wishes,
Ed

#3 ·
I like my embedded wire as well. I use the trickle charger as well and to keep it all flat I mad ea board that fits the inside of the frame then got 2 pieces of glass one on either side. Once embedded pick the frame off the bottom glass and tip the top one out. Nice flat foundation.

#4 ·
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. You always learn more when you read what others have to say. So far mine works, but I agree it may not work when you do lots. I have done some wiring in a group. 10 people cranking out frames, sharing the cost and taking their shares home. One beekeeper was kind enough to use all his equipment in his shop. It was really fun working with so many people, we had a blast and they day flew by in no time. The shops owner had some nice wiring devices from Dandant. All metal, but thy no longer make them. When I came home I noticed that some weren't embedded all the way. The girl that did them may have not noticed, but that is ok since we cranked them out by the hundreds. No blame on her. It was a group thing so you get what someone else may have worked on. I build this little one embedder to do the fixes on those few frames. I did add the pen shafts so I can press the wire into the wax with one and apply a small charge with the other one. I think I will build some jigs this spring. One for wiring and one for embedding. Perhaps all in one unit. I will think of something.

#7 ·
We have a used electronic parts dealer in town since we have many large electronics corporations here. I buy used or surplus new 120v. x 12 v./1 amp transformers for cheap! Last time bought 5 for 6 bucks. Some go bad, throw them in the trash can. Made an embedder tool similar to Dadant's but mine sits higher so you can see the wire under it as it's heated. Used a momentary 120 volt push button switch (Radio Shack; 2 for $3.00). Had to build one for me and two for others less electrically gifted. :p

Katharina; I don't believe the wall chargers will stand the current through a dead short for embedding or at least not for long. :D I once tried a 16v. doorbell transformer and fried it within minutes. Someone recommended a computer power supply and I see dead computers waiting for the garbage men all the time. Might have to try one next time. Any voltage from 5 to 20 v. will work, just need the amp capacity. :thumbsup:

#8 ·
Katharina; I don't believe the wall chargers will stand the current through a dead short for embedding or at least not for long. :D I once tried a 16v. doorbell transformer and fried it within minutes. Someone recommended a computer power supply and I see dead computers waiting for the garbage men all the time. Might have to try one next time. Any voltage from 5 to 20 v. will work, just need the amp capacity. :thumbsup:
As predicted it did burn out. I did about 50 frames. No crying here, had it laying around doing nothing. For me it did it's job and it cost me nothing using the old thing. I will buy a trickle charger next time in town. They are quite cheap too.

#9 ·
Hi!

I just used a spare computer power supply. I may have done a couple hundred frames, but it is still holding together. I am using the 3.3 volts wires. On an ATX power supply one would need to tie a couple of wires together to turn the power supply on. The 3.3 volts does half of a deep frame at a time. I suppose the 5 volts would do a whole frame, but it is not the system I use. Either voltage is usually rated at a hight amperage. If there is an old computer around which is heading for disposal, it would be worth a try.

Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.