Default Golden Chain Tree

Anyone know if Golden Chain Tree is a nectar source?

JC

Default Re: Golden Chain Tree

I have been hoping that someone knowledgeable would respond to your question, as I would like to know the answer myself. I Have a few that are about 6' - 8' tall that came up on their own near the road. I am trying to determine if I want to keep them.

In doing an internet search, I found conflicting information. One source said that all parts of the tree are poisonous. (Did not specify nectar.) One source says bees work it, and another says they do not.

My Golden Chain trees bloom early May, when lots of other things are blooming. I would see a couple of bees at a time on my blossoms, which was not much considering the large number of blossoms on the tree.

Found this link listing honey trees.

http://freshdirt.sunset.com/2010/08/bee-trees.html
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

We need a botanical name to know exactly which tree you are asking about. Names like Golden Chain Tree, Golden Rain Tree, Mimosa, Mock Orange, Creeping Charlie can mean 100 different plants to 100 different people.
    Last edited by odfrank; 03-03-2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: added "i" to Rain

Being in agriculture and knowing a lot about plant materials, I never heard of Golden Chain Tree (Laburnum, Victoria). I thought the poster was mistaken about the name and actually speaking of Golden Rain Tree (Koelreuteria paniculata), which I am very familiar with.

Doing a simple google search found the tree the poster was speaking of. They are two different trees. We need to find out which one the poster is talking about.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

Golden Rain Tree (Koelreuteria paniculata), if as Michael B says and this is it, the sites I saw said it was good for nectar, July-August, yellow blooms. They showed picture, just run a search and see if that is your tree.

I have four large golden chain trees (Laburnum) that my honey bees totally ignore. The bumble bees like them, though.
    Rusty
    http://www.honeybeesuite.com "A Better Way to Bee"