Default Swarm Prevention, Trapping, and Management Workshop - Cumberland County Maine

The CCBA annual swarm workshop is scheduled for April 25.
    Cost is $45 for non-members, and includes a swarm trap for each participant to bring home and use in their own apiary.
    Details here:

http://mainebeekeepers.org/cumberlan...workshop-2012/
    Erin Forbes, EAS Master Beekeeper
    overlandhoney.com

Default Re: Swarm Prevention, Trapping, and Management Workshop - Cumberland County Maine

Video tape the meeting & post it on Youtube.
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!

Default Re: Swarm Prevention, Trapping, and Management Workshop - Cumberland County Maine

>"Each registered participant will leave the workshop with one plant pot style swarm trap ready for use in his or her own apiary."

They are already being sent down the wrong road of swarm trapping by another "Master Beekeeper". A well educated swarm trapper uses standard equipment with frames so that they do not have to do a unnecessary cutout.

In the program I teach to use the swarm trap in the home apiary, where the trap will be checked daily and bees will not be left in the trap to build comb. The swarm trap, when managed correctly can be as much a "trap" as an indicator of scouting and swarm preparations.

Standard frame swarm traps carry their own advantages and disadvantages. Circumstances where each is better certainly exist.

Best to you and your bees,
    -Erin
    Erin Forbes, EAS Master Beekeeper
    overlandhoney.com