Hybrid View

Default To much pollen, using pollen traps

All my hives seem to have ample pollen stores, so I installed pollen traps for a couple days to avoid being pollen bound. With the record temps we've been having here in Michigan alot of trees are in bloom early and its a constant flow of bees loaded with pollen coming in. Can I get some advise on when and how to manage too much pollen. How do you recognize a pollen bound situation? And what do you do?

Default Re: To much pollen, using pollen traps

I have seen what I believe to be excessive pollen in some of my hives over the years, I run a 3 medium brood nest, and I have seen the lowest box completely full of pollen, every frame wall to wall, now that's too much pollen. I guess you could manage it the same way you would if you were honey bound, remove some of the frames that are nearly all pollen and replace them with empty comb or foundation. I was in one of my hives the other day and it was incredible how much new pollen was being packed into the brood nest, bright yellow pollen in wide bands on the outer edges of the frames of brood. I just bought a pollen trap last fall, I should throw it on one of my hives right now, I'll bet you could get close to a half pound a day the way they are bringing it in. John

John, I've been getting a half pound a day from the one hive 2 days straight. Tonight after work I installed traps on 3 more hives. I'm going to leave them on for tomorrow and then remove as the rain and cooler temps sets in on Thursday. I bought 5 of those front mount traps from brushy mt. and I like the price and performance.

Did you get the plastic entrance mounted traps that are about $15? I bought the Sundance top mounted trap, but the deal with that one is that you need to close off your lower entrance and get them used to using the top entrance in the pollen trap, it causes alot of confusion for the first couple days but eventually they figure it out and it traps nice clean pollen real well. John

Pollen bound is a beekeeper concept. I think you just have bees wise enough to stock up pollen. Put the pollen in the bottom box and add another box. Use the pollen when you start nucs or splits.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Pollen bound is a beekeeper concept. I think you just have bees wise enough to stock up pollen. Put the pollen in the bottom box and add another box. Use the pollen when you start nucs or splits.
    I've been reading about pollen feeding and collection, and was waiting for someone to say this. As a new beek, I'm confused by this whole idea: why would you take pollen from the bees in the season, only to feed it back to them next spring? As long as there is pollen available in season, won't the bees store enough for their needs over the winter and into spring? If they store more than they use, does it go bad? In which case won't they clean it out themselves? If you leave the bees to their own devices, why would it ever be necessary (barring a dearth) to feed them pollen in the spring?

Thanks!