Hybrid View

Default Is it ok to extract honey from a failed hive?

One of my hives did not make it through the winter. The upper deep is completely filled with capped honey. I would normally just restock the hive with new bees, however, I have completely switched over to small cell frames and the failed hive was the last remaining large cell left. Is it safe to extract the honey to eat?

There does not seem to be any signs of disease. I'm pretty sure they lost their queen last fall and I was too late in re-queening before the winter.

Thanks

Default Re: Is it ok to extract honey from a failed hive?

If you fed no antibiotics while it was being stored, there is no reason not to utilize it. I would certainly east it or feed it to my grandkids. There will be some on here who would want to see it burned and the dust properly disposed of by hazmat, but it will be fine.

Out of curiosity, what is considered the 'problem' by those who want hazmat disposal?

I was overreacting to the constant choir of alarmism. That honey could be contaminated by---name twenty things and was meant for the bees and would be shameful to take for your use or GOD Forbid, Sale! Deadouts get extracted if not ful of feed or chemical treatments all the time. Sorry for my mouth.

No prob - just wondering what was out there. Thanks

Should be fine to extract. If you fed sugar syrup last fall or fondant or dry sugar during the winter it is good honey for your own table but I wouldn't sell it.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A