Default pvc hive entrance

Hi all first I want to say that I have the same question posted on biobees, but I didnt get any response so I thought I would post my question here also.
    I am in the process of finishing up my my bee house. I realized that I need to make a landing board on the outside of the shed and then connect the entrance to the hive.
    My plan is to use pvc to connect it together. I did find
    http://www.ent.uga.edu/bees/publicat..._entrances.pdf
    which also talks about the use of pvc. According to the study 1.5 inch 3.8 cm id pvc pipe showed the best results.
    I am thinking of going with white pvc.
    1. Would you scuff up the pipe to give the bees some traction?
    2. would you give the pipe a slight downward direction from the hive body.
    3. anyone use pvc before any other suggestions?
    Here is what the shed looks like. It will have rough cut board and batton hemlock on the sides and metal roof.we call it our castle.

Here are the boxes I have atm.
    showing the floor
    showing the hive body box
    showing the quilt box with landscape fabric between the quilt box and hive box
    notched roof
    how it goes over the quilt box
    whole system ready for catching a swarm.

Default Re: pvc hive entrance

I've used 3/4" and 1" PVC with good results when starting a new hive. It is not necessary to have a landing board they will do fine. I had one hive build out two boxes, each with a 3/4 inch pipe entrance and when I added a third box and put in a bottom entrance they did not start using it until I pugged up the PVC for a few days. I usually try to put a little downward slope to the pipe and I spray paint the inside of the pipe but that is mostly for my benefit. I don't think of matters to the bees.
    Gary

Default Re: pvc hive entrance

Thank you I really appreciate it.