Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Medium Frames in Deep Super????

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  pannu96 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I was wondering if I can put my medium frames that are currently in my hive into deep supers. I bought nine hives from someone which are in honey supers (1 super only). I want to take away those supers and put the frames in the deep box as I want to paint the honey supers. Will the bees pull down comb towards the bottom of the frame. Will this do any damage to the bees, will it break off. I want all my hives to look alike in deeps. Thank You

#4 ·
I assume you are going to be washing/painting the hives within a day or two. In that short amount of time they could be transferred to the deeps, mediums painted then transferred back without much if any burr comb built of the bottoms of the frames. If they do, just scrape it off and move on. If they build up a whole lot in that time, breed that queen and send me one asap:D Also, you might want to use a little more smoke than normal. The girls tend to like having clean air before they start doing things like building comb. Just make sure you dont go off and leave the med in the in deep supers for a week or two, you'll have a big mess on your hands.

#5 ·
I guess I will do that and quickly move them back ti the medium super. I will wash themnow, paint them tomorrow and then put them back the next day. If I want to switch my bees into a deep with deep frames, should I put a deep on top and keep it on for one Monte then move he medium to the top with a queen.exclude. Will they move to the deep.

#6 ·
Just set a deep on top. They'll move up when a nectar flow starts and they need more room. Later in the year you can find the queen, make sure she's in the deep box and move the super back on top over an excluder or just let them continue using the super for brood. You're probably going to need more boxes for brood anyway, whether it's two deeps or three supers or a deep and a super. Hope you have enough boxes for your upcoming honey flow!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.