Default Walk away split update

Two Sundays ago I did my first walk away split. I a peaked on them a couple of times and have seen at least 2 capped queen cells. They are also very grumpy and have been stung a few times over the last couple of weeks.

Questions: Should the queen hatch Tuesday? How long before she goes on a mating flight? When should she start laying? Anything else I should be mindful of?

Default Re: Walk away split update

Have you looked at Michael Bush's Bee Math?
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm
    Queen emerging 16 days +- 1 day
    Queen to laying is 28 days +- 5 days
    Good luck

Today is the 15th day, would next week end be too soon to inspect again, I would hate to disturb any mating flight activity.

If the bees had some newly hatched larvae when you made the split they would have been 4 days old then. Assuming they started queen cells that day, you should have had cells hatching around Friday before the second Sunday after you made the split.
    Gary

Are walk aways a good idea in Texas? AHB?

Tall Steve

Leave them alone until 2-3 weeks after the queen was due to hatch. The best policy is to leave them undisturbed during this time of mating flights etc. You'll have plenty of time to inspect them this spring and summer.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

hilreal; you've been reading too many newspaper articles sensationalizing AHB. Most beeks in AHB areas never have a problem or if they do they know how to handle it. I live in an AHB area and have not had to change my methods at all, along with all the other beekeepers I know. Not even considering walk-away splits, don't you think that hundreds of thousands of hives supersede or swarm in AHB areas resulting in queens that need to mate? Should everyone in AHB areas just quit bees and lock themselves in the house with windows shut? We know they're here, not a thing we can do about it except keep on trucking!