Thread: Lost Queen?

Default Lost Queen?

I installed a new package last Saturday and placed the queen cage in the brood box. After three days I realized there was a cork covering the candy in the queen cage. I removed the cork and covered things up. Today I checked to make sure the queen had been released and she had not been. A week after the install (today) I felt it was time she was out of the cage so I opened the screen on the side of the cage. The queen rested on the brrod frame for a brief second and then flew off!! Am I foolish to think she'll return to the hive or should I just mark it up to education and order a new queen today? I don't want to wait too long to re-queen but would like to think she may come back to the hive. Will she? If not, any recommendations on where to get a good queen fast?
    Last edited by Dubuquer; 03-17-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Apologies - did not mean to post in Equip Review

Default Re: Lost Queen?

Yes, many times she does come back. You were the tall landmark next to the hive, did you stay standing there for some minutes? Check back in a day or two, she may be back.

I did stand there for a couple of minutes with that look on my face. I'll keep my fingers crossed and see what happens by mid week next week. How long can I go before requeening? We've had some pretty warm days here in GA and I want to get some brood production going as soon as possible.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-17-2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: language

Close call. Package queens have little or no affinity to the shook bees that are with her until she starts laying. She may not come back. I would suggest going into one of your other hives and get a frame of brood to keep the others happy. You can wait several days, but, you are losing time. Have a queen on standby.

cchoganjr

Not to be taken wrong, but are you sure it was the queen and not one of the attendants...
    Honeydew

Moving a frame of brood is a good idea. I'm pretty certain it was the queen and not an attendant as I had a very good look at her in the brief time she was on the frame. I was expecting her to turn down in to the brood box and to my amazement she went the opposite direction. I've looked in to getting a replacement queen and can have one relatively quick if needed.