Default Cutting frames to 1 1/4"

So I bought some Kelly foundationless frames and started to cut the end bars down to a 1 1/4". I had also planned to cut the top bar down as well to provide enough bee space. Then I realized below the end bar, where they touch, there is only 1/8" space when two are pushed together. Not enough for bees. Im going to ask a dumb question but will I also have to cut that area of the end bar too? Or do people use them like that with no bee space? Thanks monrovi

Default Re: Cutting frames to 1 1/4"

I realized this problem also and what I did was made a jig to use a router to make the shape to keep the beespace. You can use them that way, but realize they'll propolise the whole distance of the end bar. (making it next to impossible IMO to get the frames apart) Perhaps you can use the table saw, but to me that just seems too risky. I'll try to take a picture and post it in the next couple days so you can see how I do it. I bought a flush trim router bit with the bearing on the bottom of the cutters so I can put it on the router table and run with it. It has worked well. I now have (as of this morning) 50 1-1/4" frames assembled.

So with the router set up you are able to cut the entire end bar in on pass? That sounds like it would be the way to cut them. I started with the tablesaw but might change my game plan once I see your pictures thanks

I have it set up to do 2 end bars at a time cutting one side on each. So I can complete 2 bars in 2 passes. Hopefully Kelly's will start to make them. If you haven't read the article in the Febuary's newsletter I'd encourage you to go to their web site and read it. Also if you are interested I'd also encourage you to e-mail them letting themknow you want 1-1/4" wide frames.

I like to make my frames with End Bars that are parallel and fit together along their entire length, without any gaps. So far this has worked just fine, creating no difficulties at all.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

After I put 11 wooden frames in a box, I use a stepped down 1/2 drill bit and drill translation holes between the frames. The plastic ML frames don't require it.

I cut a some Mann lake frames down this morning. They were a piece of cake to cut down. And you are correct about still havin spacing on the end bars. It was fine

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    I like to make my frames with End Bars that are parallel and fit together along their entire length, without any gaps. So far this has worked just fine, creating no difficulties at all.
    Thank-you for posting this. Do you have issues with propolis? I know that some of my frames that have only been in use for a year I have a difficult time getting them apart and it's only on the upper 2-3" of the end bars that touch. What are your thoughts?

I've heard others say how they have had trouble with bees propolizing frames together - that they were difficult to separate. I've never seen this with either commercial Hoffman frames or my own custom frames. I've kept bees from Washington state, to Ohio, Virginia, Florida, New Mexico, California, and now Arizona. I'm not sure why I've never seen it. Maybe some of those who experience it could take a few pics. I'd like to see what it looks like.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Quote Originally Posted by delber View Post
    Hopefully Kelly's will start to make them. If you haven't read the article in the Febuary's newsletter I'd encourage you to go to their web site and read it. Also if you are interested I'd also encourage you to e-mail them letting themknow you want 1-1/4" wide frames.
    Kelley's (Jane Burgess) e-mailed me this ...We are looking into this process and equipment needs we will probably make approximately 2000 and await feedback tweak as necessary and then build the equipment. We are probably looking to have them on the market in june.... I would sill e-mail them and tell them you want them so they can see alot of us want them.

While I prefer all the right dimensions, I have made a thousand foundationless frames from Kelley frames I custom ordered with solid top bars. I cut the bevel on the top and shaved the end bars but made no other modifications. I have had no issues.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

So the 1/8" gap at the bottom of the end bars has not been a problem far as being glued together with propolis. It sure would be a lot easier just to leave that area of the end bar alone.

Everything in a bee hive gets glued together eventually, but no it has not been a problem.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    Kelley's (Jane Burgess) e-mailed me this ...We are looking into this process and equipment needs we will probably make approximately 2000 and await feedback tweak as necessary and then build the equipment. We are probably looking to have them on the market in june.... I would sill e-mail them and tell them you want them so they can see alot of us want them.
    This is great!!! I hadn't heard from them about it yet. Thanks for the update.