Default Smoker fuel - shredded paper.

I looked at a bunch of posts and didn't see anything about it, but what do you guys think about using shredded letters from the mail for fuel? I've been taking the paper out of my shred bin and using that for fuel, and it can last an hour or so. The only thing is, is that there is a really thick oil that builds up. Is this normal with all the fuels or would it be just a by product of the paper? It looks and smells like the "natural smoke" oil you buy in the store for cooking with. There is so much though that it's almost impossable to open the smoker after each time.
    Disclaimer: I know enough to know I don't know anything yet.

Default Re: Smoker fuel - shredded paper.

is there anything in that paper that might make your bees sick ?? maybe even long term,do you get alot of ash or sparks when you puff smoker ?from what you say it sounds kinda toxic if it's that sticky after use.

By thick oil, do you mean a black creosote like substance? That's normal. Every burning or smodering material makes it.

Does your smoker burn hot? I would expect that w/ shredded paper. Especially because of the ink. I have never used shredded paper, but it apparently works for you. And if that is all I had available I would use it too.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

I've used it to start my smoker, but not as the only fuel source. It burns too hot and too fast for me.

I would not use shredded paper unless I am sure it is not coming from those 4 color adds/inserts which are proven to be toxic to plants, I assume so they are toxic to bees.

Unless you are a city dweller with stamp size bare lot stripped from all vegetation, why would you want to use paper shreds??

Unless you value your bees at a cost of a newspaper.

I shred all scrap white paper with black ink. I save all winter and mix in my compost heap in the spring. Is gone in a month and goes into my garden and flower beds instead of the dump. I also use the shedded paper in the smoker along with straw for any short term bee work. For a longer work schedule the paper is great to start another fuel. I have never had it produce any more creosote than anything else. Most black printing ink any more is soy based.

Peter
    Belgrade, MT

How hot it burns, I think is the main issue, although I'm not sure what all kinds of inks will be on it either. Most of the newspapers are now soy ink. But I don't know about junk mail...

You need cool smoke and something that doesn't burn up too quickly.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Burlap burns good. My favorite is old dryed up wood burns cool and for a long time just find a rotted stump and let it dry on cardboard.

Great, I'll keep all this in mind. I get a bunch of newspapers for the ads on Sunday so maybe I'll just use that.
    Yes, I am on a postage sized lot, the backyard is 60'x35'. I have it down to dirt so that no weeds grow and raised veggie beds. I also have no lawn in front as I think it's a waste of water and I went with bushes that I don't water.
    For the heat of the paper. If I puff on it a bunch, fire will come out like a blow torch, but once I stop then it's just smoke that is cool enough to put my hand in front and detect only a slight heat, so I think it should be cool enough. My mentor uses burlap and he has to use a whole bag or two each time he goes out, and has to refill it after 15-20 min with the second bag. I am able to stuff the paper in there pretty tight so that it has a problem burning, and it smolders pretty well. Not sure about the newspaper, how well that will burn, so I'll shred up some of it and try it. It prob will be better. I use the junk mail shreds for my chicken litter also that why I figured I'd try it.

Thanks all.
    Disclaimer: I know enough to know I don't know anything yet.

you probably already checked, but are you shredding all the plastic envelope windows as well? maybe that is your sticky substance...
    Honeydew