Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: soybean honey

Default Re: soybean honey

Lupester, you're correct. In fact, the various fields contained either white, or purple blooming beans. And if memory serves me, both types, determinate and indeterminate, were planted by different farmers. Problem is, around here they have a serious problem with a particular type of worm. So they aerial spray a few weeks after bloom starts, IF they see indication of the worm. If they don't spray, they lose the crop. First year I had bees on the beans, it was like a door slammed shut on the flow. I found out they had all sprayed. I lost three days worth of field bees. Colonies recovered just fine, and overwintered very well.

This past year I determined to avoid a pesticide kill. So the day before they all sprayed, I moved the bees several miles away to a bean field on a river, where that farmer never sprays. Got nary a lick of honey off that field. Not sure what I'll do this year. Gets real frustrating.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

I get soybean honey nearly every year. Last year the bean honey crop was outstanding. I had one colony that made 5 mediums of soybean honey. Honey is far superior to cotton honey and has a nice flavor and color. It doesn't crystallize nearly as fast as cotton honey. Hoping for a repeat to last year.

Oh yeah, those people allergic to soy products may have an allergic reaction to soybean honey. I've had one doctor-confirmed case reported back to me by a customer. Just a heads up.
    Last edited by AstroBee; 03-26-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: added allergic reaction info

Farmers don't spray near bloom as it might affect yields.

Can someone explain the difference between full season and late season soybeans in terms of when they plant each of them? I live in Michigan so I guess it will be different depending on where they are planted. John

Fields of soybeans are not sprayed with round up. It is used before the field is planted. Round Up Ready soybeans are resistant to the round up in and on the ground. Also the remarks made about soybeans being self pollinating is true. In the process of getting more per acre we have developed some great things. But along the way we have messed with Mother Nature to the point we are now seeing. I believe in the next 10 years we will see reports of people dying from all the altered food sources.

We have hundreds of acres across from me. I sure wish it was Buckwheat instead.

It's a tricky thing these days to put a hive on crops that you are not doing yourself.

Good Luck!
    Summer[/QUOTE]

Soybeans are sprayed when they are at least five leaf stage of growth but before they shade the target weeds from the herbicide. Round up is a contact killer not a soil absorbed product.

I got some honey off of some soybeans & golden rod. It did have a light scent to it. But very sweat.
    Grandchildren are the best.... Bees a close second....

Quote Originally Posted by runner_114 View Post
    Soybeans are sprayed when they are at least five leaf stage of growth but before they shade the target weeds from the herbicide. Round up is a contact killer not a soil absorbed product.
    If Round Up is a Contact Herbicide it would kill the soybeans also. And if the soil is left untouched most weeds will not sprout. Roundup is used around the High Power towers and has lasted two years.

I am sorry for the above post,,,I re read the roundup ready soybeans information and yes the beans will tolerate being sprayed.
    I tried to delete my post however once the horse is out of the barn it will not turn around.

No problem Ben, we have all done it. Humility can be in pretty short supply on here at times. If it happens again just say someone hacked your computer.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Soybeans have always been self-fertile. That is what made them so hard to breed. The flowers need to be opened early and the the anthers removed so they do not pollinate themselves. The upside is that once you have the cross you want it reproduces very pure so it is easy to multiply the seed.

I have yet to make much soybean honey.

Tom

Yeah, crossing soy/peas is a pain, one of the toughest flowers to open up. Ben, Round-up has no residual, glyphosate binds organic compounds instantly and is deactivated in that manner. One reason why you need to make sure you use clean water when spraying round up. Ben, we're already killing ourselves with altered food...refined sugars, preservatives etc...

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    I am placing a bee yard in the middle of hundreds of acres of soybeans, what is the color of the honey and what kind of honey would you compare the taste to? John
    I would caution you to be very careful and watchful of your hives if you decide to do this. Perhaps not place all of your hives in the soy beans. Most soy beans are treated with clothianidin which is EXTREMELY toxic to honey bees. The information and arguements on this topic are on going but something you should be aware of. Do what you think best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothianidin

http://corn.osu.edu/newsletters/2010...eed-treatments

Quote Originally Posted by Live Oak View Post
    I would caution you to be very careful and watchful of your hives if you decide to do this. Perhaps not place all of your hives in the soy beans.

Just curious.... have you seen a lot of bee death around soybeans? I know I have not.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    Just curious.... have you seen a lot of bee death around soybeans? I know I have not.
    Nor have I Herb. I cant prove or disprove that seeds treated with Clothianidin harm bees I can only say that our bees have only gotten better in recent years as the use of these treatments has flourished. For those who feel that there is much of a difference in "placing" or "not placing" bees on soybeans I offer up this little mathematical reminder: Given the fact that bees will forage up to 3 miles from the hive (there have been proven instances where they have gone 4 miles) that would constitute a total foraging area of over 28 square miles.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    No. Nothing I can point to as conclusive proof.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12