Default How feasible would it be to turn this stainless double walled kettle into anextractor

heres the specs on it. It is a 60 gallon model:
    http://www.legionindustries.com/prod...am/LTWT811.pdf

I would probably hook up a hot water heater and a circ pump to heat the interior if needed.
    I don't have an extractor yet, and probably will never have the volume of honey to justify useing for this kettle just for storage an bottling.
    It is normally used for a soup kettle I believe. We do commercial construction and occasionally have the opportunity to salvage or purchase stuff like this from demo jobs. Neat stuff, but you have to figure out what to do with it! It is an amazingly heavy stainless pot. I salvage all stainless and galvanized stuff..along with wood of course!
    Last edited by Lauri; 03-17-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Default Re: How feasible would it be to turn this stainless double walled kettle into anextra

while it would be possible to convert into an extractor it will take some engineering, some money and some McGuyver talents.

However, depending on how much honey you get annually, it would make one heck of a storage/settling tank for filtering and bottling.

I would gobble that up in a heartbeat and I only have 5 hives.

Default Re: How feasible would it be to turn this stainless double walled kettle into anextra

Double walled/water heated tanks aren't necassary for extracting, so I would think it better to use this tank for what it was design. But, I bet if anyone could do it it would be you.

I bet you could trade that tank w/ someone who has an extractor.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

I'm thinking still.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
    It is an amazingly heavy stainless pot.
    Absolutely beautiful even if you have to extend the top 6 or 8 inches so the frames will clear the radius of the bowl. Do you have a wall solid enough to hang this baby?
    The issue I see would be cost of converting it. If you do not have a supply of stainless and the ability to weld it, fabricate it and have to pay someone it will cost more than buying an extractor. However that being said it would make a beauty. What did you give for it? A dollar a pound.

I just noticed they have a two speed mixer/ agitator for these kettles. Is that with yours? That might make the conversion easier.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

not big enough in diameter for a radial but it would make a nice storage or bottling tank.

That would already make a great bottling tank, with very little modification.
    Dan

I've spent my life in kitchens and have bought a few of those. I'm not Farmiliar with the brand but that is worth a pretty penny. I would sell it I'm sure with a little work to find the right buyer you would have enough $$$ to buy a couple very nice extractors probably with some left over.

You all talked me into keeping it -as is for bottling

Looks like Maxant is the brand of extractor of choice from the Beesource threads.

I will probably end up running about 50 hives-my interest is in raising Northern queens and nucs, but no doubt will need an extractor at some point. (Especially now with a killer bottling tank-hee hee.)
    If I buy an extractor, It will have to be well made to stand up to a fair amount of use. As always, I will probably do some extracting for others to help pay for my bee toys. I see Maxant gives sale prices to Beesourse members?? and Free shipping in the month of March??
    Sounds like a plan!
    Twenty Frame Radial Extractor POWER-20F SEMI PRO
    http://www.maxantindustries.com/extractors.html

No junko tools for me, if my husband lets me live.

Yes Ace I agree, this kettle is cool enough just to look at I'll have to build an extracting room just to use it. Luckily, I have just the place
    Last edited by Lauri; 03-17-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Lauri, whether you like me or not 26 gage is paper thin compared to the "bottling tank" you have now. I am not going to say it is not going to work for you but I have seen a commercial operation and 26 gage is tinker toy. The drives on these units are also tinker toy compared with the commercial operation I did see and with anything I have been involved with in the industrial market. I am not bashing the manufacturer I am just letting you know what to expect. 50 hives used once a year for a few days no problem. 500 hives and you need something more like that bottling tank.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Not really tall enough for even a small extractor but that will make the best bottling tank in existence. Just need a no-drip bottling valve and maybe an adapter to fit it to the existing outlet and you're all set. You could also hook it up to a small water heater with a small recirculating pump for heating your honey. You can get recirculating pumps at your local plumbing supply or big box store; it's the type used to keep instant hot water available at the bathroom fixtures.

Maybe I'm missing something but new those go for over $10,000 and the cheapest used one I saw on the Internet was $2000 it looked to be old and it was in aweful shape. Your kettle looks new. I would hope you could get a quick $3000.00 for it from someone that is going to hold and sell for in the $6000.00 range. The only issue is the direct stem jacket that limits your market a bit. It's a cheaper unit and one that can only be sold to someone set up with steam.

It would be neat to have set up correctly, they reach almost 300 degrees and can boil 60 gallons of water in a short time.

OK, now you have me curious. Where did you get and how much did you pay? I love stainless stuff.

We have a commercial construction company. Do mostly mall work and a lot of restaurant demo and construction. When we demo spaces that have gone out of business, we get to keep anything they leave once they have abandoned the site, or have the chance to buy it at a discounted price. We also got a 10x14' walk in freezer at this space.All set up in my barn ready to take the place of my 6 freezers that are full to the brink of wild game, fish, veggies and fruit.
    Ya, I would sell the kettle for $6000. any takers?? It is brand new-never used.
    Otherwise, I'll hold onto it for a while until I need to set up an extracting room. This kettle is way more than I need, but it is a good find I won't just drop for a few quick $$.

Hey Fuzzy, I do have a few McGuyver talents..LOL, that was my kids favorite show years ago.

All you have to do is stop and think a bit..and you too can be like McGuyver!

Something a special 'someone' might learn to do(Stop and think) before hitting the 'Post' button here on Beesounce.

Hee hee-no names please

UPDATE 10-16-12:

Hello everyone. After a year of storing, I have decided to sell this new stainless kettle. I am doing queen rearing and not honey production here. I hate to sell anything like this, but my husband is tired of it taking up room in the barn. It is exactly as seen in the photos, still new-unused and on the pallet.
    I am in Western Washington State. Open to reasonable offers over $2900.
    This kettle is over $9000. + tax if you bought it new.
    You would be responsible for arranging shipping if you are not local.

Cash or direct deposit only please. No checks.

Please PM me with your offer if you are interested. Highest offer will take it. You can call 253-843-1319 or email if you have any questions.
    jloutdoors@aol.com

Links to the info are in the OP.