Default 20 Hours Underwater

Last week, I spent 7 days on the live-aboard dive vessel, The Utila Aggressor. I completed 22 dives in 5 1/2 days and totalled more than 20 hours below the surface.

http://gallery.me.com/scottybdiving#100280

Default Re: 20 Hours Underwater

cool pics looks like u had a blast!

Neat photos, looks fun.
    I have to admit when I openned this thread in "What's New" I thought it was going to be about a new way to steralize equipment. My first thought was my wife is not going to like me filling our pool with bee boxes!!

Glad to see another scuba diver here! My wife and I just returned from a live-aboard cruise as well, although ours was to Truk Lagoon in Micronesia. There's a short write up on the page, with a link to the photo gallery at the bottom.

Brian

I'm a diver as well, although the majority of underwater time I have spent was wading off the shore in Northern California. I learned to dive at age 12 in Santa Barabara CA (WAY to many years ago to admit!) and have some of my fondest memories of diving in the kelp forests along the chanel islands. Then I moved north and did mostly spear fishing near Jener CA. Now I live in New England and have yet to put my wetsuit into the Atlantic Ocean! :-(

Brian, that is some incredible equipment you have there. The closest thing I have done is a Draeger Dolphin and I have done some cenote diving in the Yucatan. I have dove out of Moorehead City, NC, with some light penetrations, open Scuba. Fishman, there is some really good diving off the coast of NC. Good wrecks and tons of fish.

Actually I was a captain with our Search and Recovery team here for many years. Now the only alternative diving I do is short and quick, usually in very low to zero visibility.

I also did the live-a-board for a week a couple of years ago to receive my certification, I also completed the Nitrox certification on the same trip. It was a small (40') sail boat and we cruised around the Bahamas and Bimini Island. It was nice to see some wrecks, the Bimini Road and all of the sea life, especially the log head turtles.

But i have discovered I am a warm water diver and have not dived since then. LOL

We do have a pretty substantial collection of dive gear. Our accountant asked us for a list of everything recently and he was rather scandalized by how much was there.

Brian

Yep, One thing I learned with my brief experience in rebreathers, besides the cost, it adds another level of commitment. As a photographer, I would very much like to have to ability to not have the bubbles and get closer. I already have two dedicated check-in bags for photo equipment alone. The rebreather would add a little more. I alredy seem to be task loaded between switching ports, lenses, batteries and uploading and processing photos on a laptop, between dives. I can't imagine throwing in the maintenance of a rebreather on top of that. I'll just have to stick to my Nitrox and warm water for now.
    Last edited by Risky Beesness; 03-16-2012 at 06:22 PM.

In my opinion the rebreather isn't *that* bad from a maintenance and task loading perspective. That said, when we bought them we did put things like cameras away for nearly a year in order to rack up some experience with the rebreathers themselves. I'm sure that helped a lot.

Brian

Either way, those are really impressive setups and they certainly deserve their names. It's pretty cool that y'all can participate together at such a technical level. I got certified in 1981, married in 82 and didn't convince her to get certified until 98. Now she has almost 500 dives logged, but about 475 of them are in tropical waters.

When I'm not in warm tropical waters, this is my alternative style of diving.

Dragboat Rescue

Crash Video

web.jpg