Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hive Box Dipping Wax?

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Mr. C 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
Wondering who has experience with hot dipping hive boxes and different waxes that are available?
What wax did you use?
I contacted Pacific Coast Chemicals about dipping waxes (per suggestion of members of this Forum) and requested a price on Paraffin Wax or similar type of wax that would work and they sent me 2 different product data sheets (see attached below) and told me that I would have to decide on one!!!
Since I am new to this type of wooden ware treatment, I don't have a clue which one would work better!
Any suggestions? :s:s

View attachment Sasolwax R4242-1.pdf
View attachment R4257.pdf

#3 ·
Michael Bush used beeswax!
But a lot of other Beeks use other wax, besides that would be a heck of a lot of beeswax (more than I have) and beeswax is a lot more expensive than Paraffin or some other waxes when filling a tank up!!

#4 ·
I actually bought paraffin at the hobby store (which is the cheapest way as you don't have to pay shipping) but I couldn't bring myself to use it and did beeswax and rosin instead. If you add the rosin (which Pacific Coast Chemicals also has) I don't think it matters that much which you use. If you don't, then I think you need microcrystalline wax.

#5 ·
The goal of the wax is to get the melting point up high enough that it doesn't get sticky in the heat or run out. Straight paraffin (depending on the type) has a melting point of 140 deg F. Adding Gum Rosin raises that melting point enough that it won't get sticky in the sun. My understanding (and I sure hope I'm right since I have 300lbs of parafin and 110lb of Rosin are sitting in my shop waiting for Spring breadk) is you need about 1/3 Rosin and 2/3 140 melt point parrafin to get a high enough. If you use microcrystalline wax I <think> you need a 50/50 mix of 140 deg and 180 degish wax. There's more details in a study done in Australia or New Zeeland or something. I'll see if I can find where I got it from and post later.

#7 ·
Thanks for posting Mr. C!
So the way I understand it the waxes I have posted the data sheets on have a low melting point, which is what I requested from the Co.
But that melting point will raise when I add the gum rosin?
So should a Beek look at purchasing the lowest melting point wax or go with a higher melting point wax than the ones I attached?

#8 ·
140 deg F melting point wax is what you want if you are using gum rosin. I believe that is the highest melt point parafin wax. If you have a place you can pick up at you can save a bundle. Candlewic.com was the cheapest for me because I had to ship it. After shipping I think it was about $85 dollars for 50lbs. (30 bucks to ship), JH Calo was the only place I found that would sell just 1 bag of gum rosin at a reasonable price. I'm sure there's other out there <shrug>

The lower melt temps may get sticky on you. I compared cost and parafin and gum rosin was the cheapest for me, microcrystalline was half again as much.

#12 ·
I haven't seen any problem thus far, nor have I heard of anyone having a problem. It would prevent the wood from absorbing moisture from the air, but mst of the moisture is warm off the bees and is chimneyed out. As such I assume it's nothing the bees can't easily manage themselves. Besides they frequently propilize the inside of the hive to the same effect, this saves them the trouble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.