Question Pollen to the Hive

I have what seems like a simple question that might help answer a more complex question!(or not!) as to weather a hive is queen right.

I see my bees bringing a lot of pollen back to their hives. I know that pollen is collected to raise brood. Does this mean that I have an active Queen laying, or will workers bring back pollen with no one to feed it to?

Default Re: Pollen to the Hive

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I have what seems like a simple question that might help answer a more complex question!(or not!) as to weather a hive is queen right.

I see my bees bringing a lot of pollen back to their hives. I know that pollen is collected to raise brood. Does this mean that I have an active Queen laying, or will workers bring back pollen with no one to feed it to?

I'm just going into my second year, so I'm not an expert - but the last few weeks I've seen both of my hives bringing in pollen lately. When I opened the weaker of the two, I was surprised because there was absolutely no brood or queen to speak of. Just rows and rows of empty brood frames with pollen in them. It looked to me like a queenless hive with aimless workers not knowing what to do except get more pollen and hope for the best.

One of the telltale signs you'll see of a queenright hive is evidence of a "hatching" where all the nurse bees suddenly become foragers and start their orientation flights. They'll venture outside (usually early afternoon on a warm sunny day), walk up the hive, take off, circle around a few feet, then come back to the hive. Usually there are scores of them, forming a cloud at the entrance.

Seeing them bring in pollen is a good sign that you have a laying queen, but not definitive.

A queenless or laying worker hive will both bring in pollen. John

I figure a lot of pollen coming back into the hive means a lot of brood.
    A little pollen here and there . .. IDK

I remember a study where a hive with little brood was given brood pherome. The pollen being brought into the hive increased greatly once the brood pherome was applied.

This is just my observation:
    I've had my share of queenless and layer worker situations. Bees are going to bring pollen in, it is a job and a necessity. When you have several hives that are rollin in with pollen, and one that isn't, there is concern that something is up. IMO. When I see that, I go in to the hive. I have, more often than not, a laying worker situation. I have also found, a queen that was a drone layer. This time of year, I mostly find a queen that is slower to kick into high gear brood production.(lots of reasons for that) But, I still check.
    When in doubt, check it out. Lessons to be learned.

What about a hive that brings in very little to none and sister hive bringing in lots?

Warrants looking into to see why and if something needs to be fixed. Don't know what your weather is, but I've seen where a lower populated hive is slow to get up and go till temps are such they can spare the foragers from keeping brood warm. JMO