Default Are My Bees Planning to Swarm??

So I opened up the hives today (2 of them started from nucs last May) and along the bottom of 2 frames in the top box were what i only could assume were swarm cells but i am not sure. It looked more like bridge comb between the bottom and top frames but given this is my second year i have only seen pictures of swarms cells and some supercedure cells in some frames i was given. All these cells were destroyed as i pulled out the frames for inspection so i scraped them off the frames. The warm weather sneaked up on me this year and i feel like i should opened them up a couple weeks ago.

Long story short, i found queens in both which were back down in the bottom box and laying. I moved a couple empty frames that hadn't been fully drawn closer to the middle. I also moved a couple frames full of bees (no eggs, larva, etc.) down to the bottom box and put empties up top as well. I was kind of in panic mode here so i am not sure if i screwed up or not but i was trying to spread things out a little so they felt like they had more room. I did however keep the brood together. Should i be overly concerned, should i split the hives (they are both pretty strong but only maybe 13 or 14 of 20 frames are fully drawn in each hive), should i set a swarm trap just in case? Could all this just be bridge comb and not swarm cells at all?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Default Re: Are My Bees Planning to Swarm??

Sometimes they build some crazy comb.Queen cells would apear to look like a peanut shell. Found on the bottom 1/3 swarm. Top 2/3 supercedure.With the Queens being in the bottom box and you have given them room to move up, I wouldn"t worry too much at this point

Your bees are most likely building comb to raise drones. If the cells in the comb were horizontal or there is a lot of exposed larvae when you pull the frames out, they are raising drones. That said, I just split 2 hives yesterday that had queen cells started. I have been feeding syrup and pollen substitute since the beginning of Feb. I also split a friends hive who has not been feeding and that hive had a queen cell started also. Swarm cells usually hang vertically at the bottom or edges of the frame. Bees will usually have plenty of honey stored before they swarm.

Thanks for the reassurance that's what i was thinking but i wasn't positive. I think I was shocked at how strong the hives were, which for some reason i wasn't expecting, so i might have jumped to some conclusions pretty quickly when i saw the comb.