Question Palm Nailer for putting hive bodies together.

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone uses a pneumatic palm nailer for putting hive bodies together. Right now I don't want to use a large nail gun as I feel I will end up shooting a nail out the side into my hand.

Thanks in advance,
    Nick
    Nick Hubbell
    www.findlaybee.com

Default Re: Palm Nailer for putting hive bodies together.

My wife got me one for Christmas and I kept wondering what on earth to use it for. Other than we have a huge deck to build this summer and it should come in handy nailing in joist hangers. Then I thought... how about nailing supers? My nail gun only goes down to 8d nails, which are really too large for 3/4" thick box lumber. Thought about it, but haven't used the palm nailer yet on boxes. A friend is trying to convince me to use screws instead of nails.
    Don't confuse me with facts... my mind is made up.

Probably a little overkill to use one. We used them to drive 16" ringshank polebarn nails especially if it's a tight space and they work good. For small nails they just are not a good tool. I understand your feelings about shooting yourself - those little guys hurt. Whenever we get a new kid on our building crew I tell them it's not if you shoot yourself, it's when. They watch out for a while then forget to watch where their hands are in relation to the work and out comes the first aid kit. Most of the time it's only a nick (like a splinter) but scares them into watching a little more closely. There is something in the glue that they use that is almost guarenteed to cause the wounds to fester - hurts more the next day than the day you do it. Believe it or not I actually had one fellow shoot himself in the behind once - to this day I have not figured that one out. Needless to say he got to put on his own bandaid. All that being said if you watch your hands before you pull the trigger they are pretty safe.

Decking screws might be a better fit for you than a palm nailer if your dead set against an airgun or hand drives. They hold like the dickens, tend not to go places you go not want them and can go pretty fast and easy with a little practice.

Tom

Get yourself one of these sweet little gems and use 2" deck screws with a little Titebond III in the joints.
    Who knew building boxes could be so fun!

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless...-dcf815s2.aspx
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I use a brad nailer for my frames and I am looking at a stapler as well. Another issue I have is that my hands are not all that good anymore. I have times that my hand will lock up if I use a hammer, screwdriver, etc for an extended amount of time. I almost drove a 1-1/4" brad nail into my hand when it bend out the side on a frame.

I did end up getting the palm nailer. Did a good job putting the nails in. Not much faster than a hammer, but saves a bit on the wrist. I am watching a pawn shop right now that has what looks like a new nailer on the shelf. Just waiting for them to clearance it out (assuming I am there when they do). Seems they are going out of business and things are being marked down.
    Nick Hubbell
    www.findlaybee.com

Nick,

The reason I went to the Dewalt Impact Driver (I displayed in post #4) was that my hands cramp up using a hammer as well. The impact driver actually hammers the screw in while it's turning it so it's less trauma than a regular screw driver. It's also a very light too so you can use it for extended periods without fatigue. It's sorta like a palm nailer for screws except with a handle.

I believe screws are much better for building boxes because it pulls the joint tight so the glue can have a "tite bond".
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

My wife also got me an impact driver for Christmas. I have used the daylights out of it already. The palm nailer might look new for a long time as I can't seem to find many uses for it, but don't want to discourage her from those kind of purhcases for me. Every time she comes home with some tool for me, I just smile and say "oh, thank you, Baby!" The palm nailer might come in handy when the new deck gets done this summer. It should help with driving nails for the joist hangers in some tight spots.

I bought the Makita cordless set with impact driver and drill. They are the most reached for tools in my shop. Impact driver, titebond waterproof glue and Power Pro deck screws which need no pre-drilling make fast work of any project. I've been building lots of boxes with rabbet joints and have full confidence in the joint strength.