Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Swarm challenge

Default Re: Swarm challenge

Nice work Drakos!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Default Re: Why is the odfrank challenge closed?

Does size matter?

Bait #43 had a choice between a five frame Langstroth deep nuc or a Jumbo depth eight frame box and filled the five framer wall to wall. Charlie will say it was the ugly green color they rejected.

Yep! The jumbo looks like an old Army 50 cal. ammo box, hardly the look girls are going for these days.

That depends on what girls you're going out with.
    Dan

I've got 10 traps, and swarming is just beginning here. I'm channeling Odfrank this season. He's my hero in this department. 43?!?! Or is it more now? There should be a Wikipedia entry on you for this stuff.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Foster Collins View Post
    I've got 10 traps, and swarming is just beginning here. I'm channeling Odfrank this season. He's my hero in this department. 43?!?! Or is it more now? There should be a Wikipedia entry on you for this stuff. Adam
    Please don't encourage him, we'll never hear the end of it.

We're never going to hear the end of it anyway. And in truth, can any of us really forget? I mean, come ON! Anyone who gets into swarm trapping and has spent any time on this forum got to have a moment or two thinking, "Odfrank got 40-something, I've got to be able to catch at least ONE!"

At least that's what I'm thinking...

Adam

thats what I'm thinking too. At least you've got the added comfort that you live 5 timezones away whereas I'm only a mile away from Ollie!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Please don't encourage him, we'll never hear the end of it.
    Charlie, you started this thread, so just sit there and squirm.

I am up to 44 baits caught, five of which were either a "Phantom" bait swarm or a "zombie" bait swarm, or and "Occupier" swarm. A Phantom swarm looks good at move in but turns out later to be queenless, I had two of them. A Zombie swarm is a tiny cluster that usually come in pairs into boxes laced with LGO and placed to close together. This happens on my pile of baits in storage. These fist sized swarms think they have a queen but only have the LGO. They develop laying workers. I had two of those. An Occupier swarm is a bunch of scouts that keep spending the night, never bring in a swarm, and never leave until they all die six weeks later. I have one box I suspect is a Zombie swarm, it has a good looking patch of brood, but I never find a queen and see a few cells with two eggs. I have had several that immediately develop EFB, some are responding to medication. I have caught a few swarms, got paid $350 for a easy cutout, and today go a messy cutout in a box and bucket as a gift. The bait at my house has scouts, and a warmup is coming. I am up about 50 colonies without buying a queen or package. I have had several romantic evenings driving around picking up my catches. Life is good.

Quote Originally Posted by BayHighlandBees View Post
    thats what I'm thinking too. At least you've got the added comfort that you live 5 timezones away whereas I'm only a mile away from Ollie!
    That is the pits, Andrew. Your realtor should have disclosed that. I have caught five on my street with possibly another on the way. I did catch one .7 miles away from Charlie's Saratoga site, but his San Francisco bees elude me. My big mistake was letting him trick me into giving a talk on swarm control at his bee club. I got him back by tricking him into selling me brand new covers and QE's at pennies on the dollar. Those wimps converting from 10 down to 8 frames are suckers.

4 total

If it wasn't for the earlier thread(s) with ODFrank and Charlie B's witty repartee about swarm trapping, its likely I would not have been motivated to build some traps. With 5 traps around mine and neighboring properties, I have caught only one swarm, but I am very pleased with those results. As a new beek, I increased my apiary by a whopping 50%, and did it for free!
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I have had several romantic evenings driving around picking up my catches. Life is good.
    Ok, that's a little creepy. See what you did Adam?

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Those wimps converting from 10 down to 8 frames are suckers.
    Now this is what a hive should look like. Beautiful 8 frame boxes painted to match the color of the building it rests on. (Urban camouflage). Note the boxes are all glued and screwed with ceramic outdoor screws. It also looks like my girls have no interest at all in Jollie Ollie's vintage WWII Howitzer artillery crates.

bees at hive entrance.jpg

It's funny. I've got all kinds of non-honey bees that are visiting my yard, just not a lot of honey bees. Today I noticed at least 3 different kinds of bumblebees in my wife's foxglove. Theres also a bigger solid black bee as well (and I have no idea what type of bee that is). Then I've got a ton of sweat bees pollinating as well (and I didn't really know they even did that). I get a little traffic from my own bees, but my girls are totally hanging out in the open field behind the houses across the street. That must be where all the honey bees in my neighborhood are hanging out. I've seen normal bumbles in my yard in the past, but I'm really surprised to see all the alternate pollinators.

Attached Images Attached Images

has anyone else noticed that the plastic frames that mann lake sells has that 'bee smell' to them? It's the same the smell the bees make when they are buzzing around you. I was assembling some of those frames in my back yard and there were a number of bees checking me out while I was doing it so I'm going to switch the dadant frames in my trap with some of these and see if it helps bring in some traffic.

The large all black bee is probably a carpenter bee, they burrow holes in old wood to lay eggs.
    That lovely bee smell on the new frames is wax.
    Dan

[QUOTE=BayHighlandBees;806215 That must be where all the honey bees in my neighborhood are hanging out.

Your bees are hanging out in my swarm traps. I had to add a few supers yesterday. The California Cherry is in bloom, you can see all the light yellow blossum on the left as you drive up Tichonderoga, the toyon will pop soon.

Hi guys, i'v caught 8 so far out of 11 5-frame nuks. just made up 6 15-frame TB nuks and put them out a week now.
    here's a pic of one of the TB nuks i made (these were inspired by you Tomas)
    I have cut enough plywood to make 24 of these and hope to get them made and out within the next week
    reason for making larger traps is because I have lost 2 known large swarms because the 5-framers are just too small.

Tomas in Honduras, where are you? Give us your count. Ollie's eating our lunch!!!

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast