Question how to uncrystallize comb honey?

Hello, i have a couple supers i never got to extracting last year. they r all capped and they have been compleatly sealed from bugs. One problem tho....the honey has crystallized... How would i go about "uncrystalizing" the honey wile its still in the comb?

Default Re: how to uncrystallize comb honey?

Get yourself a furniture box and put your honey up on empty boxes and run a space heater or put a 100 watt light bulb in and heat up to 100. I bought a thermostatically controlled powerstrip at the pet store for lizard rocks that goes to 104. Let the supers set at that temp for several days and then bring down to about 80 and extract them.

awesome! great idea. thankyou very much!

Key is low temps and patience. I've done this with cut comb in the jars that crystallized. Alternative is to crush, heat and strain...not my first choice.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Fill a pot with hot water and place the jar of honey inside it for a few minutes. This method will not kill any enzymes or other good stuff.

Raise the price and call it "creamed comb honey", which it is. It wills stay on the bread very nicely...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by bekasblossombees View Post
    Hello, i have a couple supers i never got to extracting last year. they r all capped and they have been compleatly sealed from bugs. One problem tho....the honey has crystallized... How would i go about "uncrystalizing" the honey wile its still in the comb?
    http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/P1030988.jpg

Didn't you ask me about extracting with heat? Uncap the frames with you hive tool, put them back into the box strap the top bars in and flip the box over. Temperature controlled heater fan blowing up through the frames. Plastic tub underneath to catch the honey. Make sure you don't go over 110 degrees.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

You can process a few frames at a time in your oven if it has a bread proofing setting. Bread proofing is done at 100 degrees which is just about perfect for this. Make sure you have a good large pan to catch any dripping. You may also want to do this while the wife is out of the house.

I also use the bread proofing to warm foundation when assembling frames. On cool days it can be briddle.
    Bee all you can Bee!
    http://www.hamiltonapiary.net