Default question on electric fence

say if you put alternating hot wire then ground then hot etc. using poly rope would you use poly for the hot wires only and 14 ga. steel wire for the ground wires? or how would you do this. I heard it is really good for bears.

Default Re: question on electric fence

What is really good for bears is to place small strips of bacon on the hot wire right at bear nose level. All the bears fur won't insulate his mouth from the charge. Bear runs off singing, "I'm a believer!"
    Old Guy in Alabama

Alternating hot-ground is more for areas with poor grounding like rock, dry sandy soil, etc. There's nothing wrong with it, just a consideration. I think what you're describing would work fine and yes, baiting is a good idea for a problem bear... get 'em in and trained
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Larry, also be more thoughtful than I was when thinking about where you put your gate. I can't remember why I decided to put it where I did, but it is not convenient.

Yes, what you're describing would work. Bait or not though, don't put our hive too close to the fence. To be effective, the bear has to cross the fence or at least lean hard against it trying to reach the hive.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

As for the bacon thing listed above - use aluminum foil to help hold the bacon. It make an excellent conductor.

The same method can be used for deer. Try folding up some foil to 8" strips then twist some on the fence wire and put some peanut butter on them. Works wonderfully well.