Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default buckwheat in Texas

So this has been a very strange year for our weather. I was wanting to plant a few acres of buckwheat and was wondering if it ok to plant it now? Would they have enough time to flower before out heat killed them?
    "It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Default Re: buckwheat in Texas

I have planted buckwheat a few times over the last few years. If you have sufficient moisture and temps for germination, and feel you are past your last frost date, you can plant now. Expect seedlings in 5-7 days and blooms as soon as three weeks later. You are maybe 200 miles south of me as far as lattitude....I'm holding off for fear of a late frost. Heat and dry conditions will stress buckwheat but I have planted small patches around July 4 and have blooms in mid August with 90+ afternoon temps. Moisture is the key.

That being said - I was planting for the bees to work in the dearth before fall flow (goldenrod). The verdict is still out on the success of this timing. The bees worked it heavily in the morning...but I have no stores to show - unless it went into the brood boxes.

Nectar is produced, as I understand it, when the nights are cool ( spring or fall ) and summer nights staying around 70 degrees may be the problem. Also, the common variety ( Mancan and I think Mancor ) may not produce sufficient nectar for surplus. It is suggested that the harder-to-find Japanese varieties is what we want.

I have a small amount of the Japanese variety but only enough to plant for seed production. I kept it last year in case dry weather got my main crop. It did.

If you are planting for bees and not harvest, I suggest succession planting. Maybe an acre now, assuming you are planting three, an acre two weeks from now, and the final acre one month from now. If you get the first blooms around the time you sow the last acre, you can mow planting #1 when seeds mature and till in. Ideally, you can have blooms until frost.

CC

Awesome! That's the information I was looking for. I greatly appreciate it. I am worried about a late frost getting the planting, do the succession planting makes the most sense. Do you or y'all think 3 acres is enough to bother with for the bees? I know I can not supply all of their needs with a small planting. I did figure it would be a small bonus for them though.

Many references to buckwheat say an acre can yield 100+ lbs. for a hive. Again...I've yet to get a teaspoon full that I know of. LOL

Do an internet search on "buckwheat for honey bees" and check out the PDF from Purdue or Jefferson Institute.

CC

I just planted a small patch last year and the deer loved it.

blahhh those darn deer eating our bee forage

I wish I would have taken a picture of a frame I had a few years ago of a grapefruit sized patch of buckwheat honey surronded by lighter color wildflower honey; that was off a 20 x 20 foot patch on the side of my garden. I plant it in mid summer and seem to notice the bees will work it in the morning after a cool night with dew. I plant it thick and it will smother out all the weeds, going to try that with borage this year.

Spunky,
    Thats cool! Did you extract it? Seperately? I've never tasted buckwheat honey.

Did you plant the common variety?

CC

Jase,
    Ever considered planting phacelia tanacetifolia should grow wonderful in TX. Maybe mix it in with the Buckwheat

I have not heard of that plant maedmonsom. I will look it up and see

oppps I have heard of this and it is kinda expensive to try and plant 2 - 3 acres of it

$10/lb from these folks and a lb goes a long ways

http://shop.wildseedfarms.com/Purple...ductinfo/3334/

My bet is the nectar output from buckwheat doesn't come close to Phacelia

Thanks, I will look into it today. Maybe mix them together and see what happens

I'm here in Lavaca county -- about halfway betwixt SA and Houston, and 20 miles south of I-10.

I plant Buckwheat, and it does just fine! Averages 6 weeks from seed to bloom. Yes, the deer love it. I can get 2 plantings in spring, and 2-3 in the fall. It is too hot for buckwheat from about June-August. It does well even if things are a bit dry.

Phacelia is called "Purple Tansy" in these parts. It is a fabulous bee flower!! See the separate thread about it.

I would not plant them together, as the Tansy will bloom for 3+ months, and the buckwheat blooms for about 2 weeks. But, you are quite a bit north of me, so your Results May Vary.

Good luck!
    Summer

Awesome! Thanks

I ordered some phacelia tanacetifolia, and will plant in near my buckwheat. I don't know why, but the deer never touched my buckwheat.

We all should know alot more this fall.
    Trying techniques that I doubt will work because I like to be right!

Honestly I'm afraid of the deer eating it all up. Where I live there are tons of them

My buckwheat is amongst a lot of deer. See 20 every day. So go figure. They walked around mine.

Question:

With all the info above, Since my buckwheat is irrigated, what time of day should I irrigate in order to maximize nectar?

I THINK I learned that frequent irrigation keeps the grasshoppers out.
    Trying techniques that I doubt will work because I like to be right!

Ozone,

Are you talking overhead (sprinkler) irrigation? If so, considering the fact that rainfall "washes"
    out" nectar, I would consider trying noon to early afternoon. That would just be a guess on my part, though.

CC

I agree with chicken chaser. I would water late afternoon or early evening. The buckwheat is suppose to yield nectar in the morning and rain could "wash" it out

bout the deer thing...

i get something called liquid fence... it is the only thing i can spray on a rose bush and the deer will avoid it. It stinks like rotten eggs for a day, but lasts for 30 days.. then ya gotta respray,, you could probably plant something around the perimeter of your field and spray it on those plants... deer will avoid it ... so it would cost way too much to spray a field... but if you just did the outside in places you won't see a deer near there..

for 30 days..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast