Default Can a 1000-lb platform scale (feed scale) be laid down for transport?

I'm looking to purchase used hive scales (platform scale) for use in NASA's hive scale project. My truck gets about 10MPG and our Subaru forester well over double that. So if I can do a 100+ mile trip in the subie I'd love to .

Any risks with laying one of these suckers down for transport?
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Default Re: Can a 1000-lb platform scale (feed scale) be laid down for transport?

Here is what I'm talking about.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Default Re: Can a 1000-lb platform scale (feed scale) be laid down for transport?

nice looking scale. we have moved a couple that way. there are just a couple of rods that hook together. the mechanical part is pretty simple.

I got mine in the minivan and laid it on its side. I just got through cleaning off the rust, and its fine, they are really a robust design.

You might want to wrap some strapping tape around the balance beam on top. Other than that, the whole thing is held together by gravity. So, it may clank around
    but the pieces can easily be returned to place when righted. Just take a picture of how the beam is hung and how the vertical rod is attached at the top and bottom.
    I've laid mine over for picture taking without problems.

It is such a simple mechanical design that it is amazing.