Default Looking for Bee Yards

When I decided to get into Beekeeping I was thinking this would be cool, kinda like having a cat or dog. Boy was I wrong, don't get me wrong I love it! Just had no idea of what I was getting into, 1 year later I think I have a decent handle on it, what to do and when to do it, most of the time. But as time goes by I realize that now the next challenge is trying to find viable bee yards. Sugar feedings aren't a big deal when you have a couple hives, as you get bigger and they eat everything they produce, you realize that this is gonna get real expensive real quick.

So my question is this...

Does anyone have any good bee yards that they would be willing to share with me in the southeast? I live in Central Florida and would be willing to travel a few states out to find sources. Obviously I am still seeking yards here and would share my findings as I aqcuire some. My wife and I are honest people with clean bees. I would be looking to move 12-18 hives.

Email Gambit@cfl.rr.com

Default Re: Looking for Bee Yards

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    When I decided to get into Beekeeping I was thinking this would be cool, kinda like having a cat or dog. Boy was I wrong, don't get me wrong I love it! Just had no idea of what I was getting into, 1 year later I think I have a decent handle on it, what to do and when to do it, most of the time. But as time goes by I realize that now the next challenge is trying to find viable bee yards. Sugar feedings aren't a big deal when you have a couple hives, as you get bigger and they eat everything they produce, you realize that this is gonna get real expensive real quick.

So my question is this...

Does anyone have any good bee yards that they would be willing to share with me in the southeast? I live in Central Florida and would be willing to travel a few states out to find sources. Obviously I am still seeking yards here and would share my findings as I aqcuire some. My wife and I are honest people with clean bees. I would be looking to move 12-18 hives.

Email Gambit@cfl.rr.com
    Careful here. The question isnt if you are honest it is,instead, if the person that answers your request is honest. Its never a good idea to blindly enter into an agreement in which someone else has free access to your hives. You have invested a lot. By all means keep them under your control.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Where you live you should be able to find multiple flows within 2 to 4 hours.
    Orange
    Gallberry
    Palmetto
    Tallow
    Cabbage palm
    Mangrove
    Brazilian pepper

and sugar may be cheaper than gas etc. for under 25 hives.

Mbeck,

I keep hearing about Brazilian Pepper, where can you find this? Is it usually on State property? Not heard of Tallow, and cabbage palm is mostly in swamps, no?

Jim,

I hear what you are saying, will keep that in mind, thx.

Local bee club? Farmers groups? I have even found people on Craigslist by posting an ad.

Yeah I tried the craigslist thing, didnt see anything in my area. Heck I think you might have been the one that posted that in another forum, thats why I checked craigslist, would never have thought of that before. Our bee club seems to be somewhat protective of their yards, at least thats the vibe I get, will try and ask again. Last time I asked to tag along I felt like I was an outsider.

I'm sure the data isn't perfect but this is a good place to start.

http://www.eddmaps.org/florida/species/type.cfm?id=1

The agencies that manage "state" lands take an active role in eradicating evasive species Brazilian pepper is high on the list. I'm sure there sucsess varies by location but if they can they love to remove "exotics".

Chinnese tallow is on the map as well.

http://lee.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/GardenP...bbage_palm.pdf

Craigslist was a waste of time for me.

Do your research and take a drive.
    Then go here:

http://www.ocpafl.org/searches/ParcelSearch.aspx

Every county has a site and most are simple to search. Find the name of the person that owns the spot you like. Google thier contact info and give them a call. I was worried that people wouldn't respond well my experience was different. Nearly everyone I called responded in a positive way and some said no thank you but gave me contact information for nearby neighbors. It took maybe 10 phone calls to find three yards that I'm happy with. Finding more is proving to be more difficult but my reguirements for additional yards is different.

I would start looking for a Brazilian pepper yard near Weeki Wachee and if you find the magical never ending sea of Brazilian pepper near there offer to let me put hives there as a Thank You!

Go to local farmers market and ask if people need pollination. You can move your bees out to their farms to pollinate trees and vegetables. You get a bee yard and they get pollination. You can even get the farmers to pay you.
    Potato Guns shouldn't be illegal in Texas!

Look on google satilite, find a spot you want, and knock on some doors. Leave em a bottle of honey, that should by law have your phone number on it. Even if they say no, they might change their mind.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

Gambit...JMO? We always have something in bloom, and you get the benefits of citrus! I would be very content keeping them right where they are at, where you can observe on a regular basis. The rainy season has started....your flow is going to keep going! We are blessed with a long flow...I would be in NO hurry to relocate! Again...JMO! We have what Northern beeks would about kill for. JMO!

Edited to add...remember...bees forage up to 3-5 miles from the actual hive...it's not what is happening in your yard or neighborhood that keeps them going. 3-5 MILES...in any direction...that's huge. My biggest concern your way would be corn dust on planting, but you've made it through that. Again, just an opinion, but I sure wouldn't want to locate them North!

ps...Why are you still feeding?? What is the health of your hives? I never feed longer than a couple weeks...

Mbeck, thanks for the great links! I had known about the property search and have done that but wasnt sure how to find the other plants particularly the pepper for obvious reasons.

Bees in Miami, I keep hearing that FL has 3-4 flows a year, just anxious to see more progress I guess. We went to NC for hopes of Sourwood and/or Clover. I also hear that Sourwood is the Cadillac of all honeys, the 2 Sourwoods that I tasted havent been that great.

I am still feeding to draw out comb faster, I only feed my deeps, never my shallows.