Thread: Sled Deck

Hybrid View

Default Sled Deck

Anyone thought or tried to use a sled deck http://www.midwestsleddecks.com/HTML/sled-decks.html. This is a picture of what I was thinking about. Mainly to just haul around locally 6 Pallets of doubles. So 24 hives will fit nicely. Just wondering what you think. It is just to haul a 1/2 dozen pallets Load them with the forklift and then move them between yards.

If that is a bad idea then this is another. http://www.800toolbox.com/flatbeds/flatbeds.htm

Thoughts.?

Default Re: Sled Deck

That first one looks pretty dodgy the centre of gravity will be up in the air I'd be scared to go round a corner. Or suddenly have to hit the brakes for that matter.

The other one's more like it if you took the sides off but it looks too small.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

The goal was to be able to move 6 pallets locally. Yes the center of gravity will be high did not think about the turns. I don't have dual lies so the second it better except need to change out the bed. I also need to think of the weight. What does a pallet of hives weigh?

Only you know how heavy your hives are but you don't want to not be able to move them just cos they got some honey on. Me, I think you need a bigger vehicle.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

You want to have a wood deck for your flat. We had a grain truck with a metal deck and the sides cut off Everything slid around no matter how well tied down. as for the other "thing" you would be asking for one of those bee moveing stories you always hear and say thank God it wasn't me.

for this number of hives to move pallets are overkill. a trailer is more pratical and hand load. later if you need to get a bigger flatbed truck.