Thread: Making a Split?

Question Making a Split?

Hello,
    My planto make a split is to graft some queen cells and place them in a queenless starter hive for the first two days, them remove the queen cells and place them on top of a strong colony with a queen excluder. I will place the queenless bees back on their hive with a newspaper dividing the two supers. After 8 more days I will spilt all my hives (15,and the hives have two deep brood supers from which I will take one) and take the hive with the queen to the back of my farm and then place the new colony in it's place. After a day,I will place my queen cells into the new hives and wait for 2 weeks.Will this method work, and can you guys please give some feedback. I am new into bee keeping and don't know much. Thank You. (BTW I'm doing this in the spring after my blueberry field is pollinated, 30 acres)

Default Re: Making a Split?

Yes pretty much sounds like it will work, how many cells you raising in one queenless starter? How is the starter set up?

When you put the queenless bees back to their hive after 2 days, newspaper is not needed they have not been away long and will unite straight back up peacefully.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

If you wait a day to put in the queen cells in you may find the bees are raising their own queen cells. Make sure the starter hive has fresh pollen.

MY starter is just a normal setup with extra nurse bees and pollen/honey. I am raising around 30 queens in one box (i will be using some in mating boxes). And yes, I will put a protector cage on the cells so that my bees don't tare it up on the 10th day. I will also remove any queen cells to protect my cells. THank You

As the others have pointed out, newspaper isn't needed in this case and it is better to create you starter an 1-2 hours before grafting instead of days before. Cageing etc. aren't needed, just don't miss the 10:th day from grafting! You won't really need to watch for queen cells if you create the starter just before grafting, they wont hatch before yours unless it is very warm weather, if it is make your final splits on day 9 instead.

With your method you can simply put the "split" back onto the original hiva after 24 hours with the grafted started cells among them instead of moving the started queens from one hive to the other. 24 hours works better for me than 2 days.

On more thing, in your final splits, check for queen emergence after 2-3 days. If they have failed, reunite it with it "mother" colony or with its neigbour. A good idea is to have a new batch of grafted queens already started because expect to loose 1/3 along the way from capped cell to mated laying queen.

Quote Originally Posted by pannu96 View Post
    MY starter is just a normal setup with extra nurse bees and pollen/honey...
    I would have kept them confined during the 24 hour starting period unless you move the original hive and place the starter there.

Not quite sure, but am I getting that you willhave brood in the starter? If so, don't have any young unsealed, which can be pretty negative for a number of reasons. This can be achieved by putting all the frames you will use for the starter over an excluder for 9 days before you use them.
    If you are raising 30 cells, only 24 hours in the starter is best before going to the finisher.

Just another thing to bear in mind, you don't get 100% acceptance of all the cells you graft, and you don't get 100% mating of hatched cells, so best to plan more than one batch of cells.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Thank You all for the help and I will now only keep them in the starter colony for 24 hours and then move them to a finisher colony. Also, just to ensure everything, I will make an extar batch of queens, if I have any extra, I can sell them or give them away.