Thread: Hive Building

Default Hive Building

Can a hive be built out of all plywood?

Default Re: Hive Building

yes they can but plywood does not hold up like the regular 3/4 pine. With plywood you have a lot of exsposed ends

You can build it out of plywood but I'd view it as a temporary solution rather than a long term one. Don't count on it holding up like pine but if that's all you can swing, paint the end grain a few more times and cross your fingers.

And if you use thick plywood, it's pretty heavy.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I just made some and have 2 deeps in use right now. I will let you know how ther are doing as time goes on.

my tops went 3 years w some paint
    Put your ear against a hive in January when it is -20 degrees. Hearing the hum is priceless to me.

Depends on the climate and the plywood, but at the very least you must paint all exposed surfaces very well. Use top quality alkyd primer and semigloss latex as it's a bit more waterproof than matte.

Plywood will last forever as a hive cover under sheet metal with the outer parts painted, but any exposed to weather usually de-laminates quickly. This will be worse in areas with wide fluctuations in moisture or in very damp hot climates.

By all means make one if you wish, worst that will happen is that it won't last more than 5 or 6 years. Painted pine, kept well painted and protected from water penetration at the joints, will last a lifetime.

Peter

plywood works pretty well for nuc boxes because they are used short time. not recommended for hive bodies as they will have a short life. hard to beat white pine. for the time and money invested make something that will last.