Hybrid View

Angry Solar Storm and swarm

I know it sounds crazy, but all of a sudden the two hives went mid-summer crazy today -- same day as the biggest solar storm in 12 years! They don't seem to be absconding, just manic.

I went to pump gas, and I got a kick out of the 'tourists' dodging and ducking a big swarm of Carnelians in the trees near the pumps! They weren't my girls, and my heart went out to the beekeeper whose hive decided to move to the gas station this morning.

Could it be true? Solar storms wake up the winter hives?

Internet suggests it's possible. You know how the bees can be! Have you all seen this today? Do I have to worry that tomorrow morning I might be an orphan?

Default Re: Solar Storm and swarm

Maybe not all that crazy. According to the math geeks, Honeybees are in touch with our environment in ways we will likely never understand fully!!

http://discovermagazine.com/1997/nov...mhoneybees1263

Last year I pulled up to a gas pump and people were swatting and looking like idiots a swarm of bees was on the top of the pump. The owner had a can of hornet spray and I stopped him after I filled my trk up. I moved the bees around and the queen was makeing a loud screaming noise saying take me. so I got her in my hand and about 30000 bees on my arm. Got a free tank of gas and applause from customers. Got home put the old girl in a hive and bam it is a great hive. Made it through the winter and is thriving. The solar storm my bees have hardly even been out of the hives today. When it comes to nature were all a bunch of dummies and they know more than we do cause something told my bees to go no where. NATURE RULES!!!!

Did you drive home with 30000 girls on your arm?
    A backyard hobbyist, keeping hives since '09. ~ http://www.sweetthangchocolates.com
    Zone 8a/8b

Wow cool! I want to know how you got them home too~! Did you get anyone to take a picture with a smart phone?

By the time I got home they were in my shirt and on my neck and all over my lap. Got stung 2 times out of all that and the reason I got stung was my shirt rubbing them I do believe. When swarming they are at their most docile.