Thread: Release of VSH

Default Release of VSH

When were VSH bees released to beekeepers?

Default Re: Release of VSH

Drs. Harbo and Hoopingarner bred them back in 1997 and they were called SMR. Then they decided to rename the trait VSH. It is the same thing. They started with feral survivors and did some close inbred crosses to fix traits...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks.

So, I just came across an article in my local newspaper dated May 8, 1992 about a local beekeeper receiving funding from a program of the State of North Carolina to help "purchase mite-resistant strains of Italian honey bees".

What would those bees have been? I have not read of other mite resistant strains before VSH.

I'm very interested because the beekeeper later moved his operation about 3 miles from where I live and keep hives (I haven't treated since around 2005). He passed away a year or so after moving and his bees were sold. I am assuming swarms of mite resistant bees populated the area and is probably why I am able to be treatment free.
    Last edited by heaflaw; 03-05-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Keep in mind there are two kinds of mites and in '92 it's likely they were referring to Tracheal mite resistant bees...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Keep in mind there are two kinds of mites and in '92 it's likely they were referring to Tracheal mite resistant bees...
    I forgot about Trachael mites. That must be it.